Help Me Before My Head Explodes!!

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
have been doing this grilling and smoking thing seriously now for about 3 years and have learned an awful lot from this forum and thru my experiences. I like to think that I am smarter than the average bear when it comes to outdoor cooking. (Not including the members of this forum of course). With all that I have read, all that I nave cooked, and all that I have given great thought too, I now think that I am suffering from information overload. I have now over thought the process to the point that I now do not know how to properly cook a steak. Yesterday afternoon I picked up a Flank Steak from the store and gave it a good marinade. When it came time to throw it on the grill I could not remember if I was suppose to dry the meat of the marinade or put it on the grill wet? I have always cooked my steaks (mostly Rib Eyes) by patting them dry and then applying a light spray of EVOO and a dusting of S&P. I prefer to oil the meat rather than the grate. So yesterday I landed square in the middle of overload. Do I want to dry the Marinated Flank Steak and then oil and season it like I would a non marinated steak or go straight to the grill with it? THEN I started to question whether I should oil my steaks at all? I remember reading that if you do not dry your meat before throwing on the grill the surface moisture will steam the meat and erase any chance of a good sear. Now why did I have to go there and further confuse myself?
So my questions are how do you guys cook your marinated steak? How about your non-marinated meat? Have I lost my mind? Does all this information every cause your head to explode?

S&P if a steak needs more than that somthings wrong with the steak ! I just fire up the grill let it get to about 500 and slap the steak on . Never thought of oiling the meat ! I do normaly spray my grates with Pam thou I guess that counts as oil but thats just outa habit . I don't think I would go outa my way to oil steak or dry it but thats me I use the KISS method in most everything
icon_biggrin.gif
YMMV but it works for me .

I know IF I startted thinking I would be in serious trouble
icon_biggrin.gif

That's why I like steaks with a little bit of fat on the outside!

Hold the steak in your tongs - fat side down - then wipe the fat streak across the grill - do you hear it sizzle - wipe it all the way across then turn around and come back over the grill grate again - now you should be able to smell it!

Then plop the steak right down in the middle of the section of the grill you just wiped down with your fat streak and there you go! Viola!

Now with flanks, I marinade, pat dry, dust with whatever seasoning I'm doing, then wipe down the grill with a paper towel with some canola oil on it, THEN plop the steak down in the middle!

Grill on!

Pat

Hi Steve - LOL. Yep you are probably on overload. Been there, done that. Occasionally I marinate a steak but most times I just use EVOO and Salt/Pepper. Either way, I pat the steak dry, apply EVOO to all parts after putting on the S&P. The EVOO helps with nice grill marks and bark while searing. After it releases its on to indirect. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

steves talking about flank steak. I like mine with a marinade too.

In my experience with flank, the ones with the best crust come from a quick marinade with a sugar in it (honey or whatever). I usually oil the grill first.

Steve,

I think you've got it right, just can't think past all the other stuff floating around in that blue smoke in your brain.
Personally I always pat everything down to remove moisture (moisture + heat = steam = tough gray steamed meat)from the surface. I do not oil my grates as it tends to burn off. I most always rub down everything with a light coat of olive oil (oil + heat = sizzle = nice yummy grill marks). I tend to pepper my steaks before hand, not always salt, some say the salt draws the moisture to the surface, and we know what moisture does.

Good luck,

David

Mmmmm. The long beefy charred fibers of a flank. A very versatile cut. I like em sliced thin and stuffed with all kinds a goodies and rolled up jelly roll style wrapped in bacon and foiled with a few holes poked in the foil. Don't worry yourself too much its not like your baking a cake. How was it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Hold the steak in your tongs - fat side down - then wipe the fat streak across the grill - do you hear it sizzle - wipe it all the way across then turn around and come back over the grill grate again - now you should be able to smell it!

Then plop the steak right down in the middle of the section of the grill you just wiped down with your fat streak and there you go! Viola! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat, I just had a "Duh... Why hadn't I thought of THAT?"
icon_confused.gif
moment.

Good suggestion! I'm gonna' remember that the next time I'm grilling some steaks

Flank steak... leave the marinade. Here's the marinade recipe handed down by my Mom. She cooked it under a broiler. I do it on my Genesis.

Joyce's Flank Steak

1 1 3/4 pound flank steak

Marinade:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced (can substituted 1/4 onion)
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup red wine vinegar
? cup ketchup, to 1/2 cup
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 drops liquid smoke
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
hot red pepper sauce

Method

Pierce steak to allow marinade to get inside. Put steak in a gallon ziplock and add marinade over steak on both sides. Refigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.

Preheat broiler. Cook 2 to 3 inches below heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve on warmed platter.

Suggest serving with sauteed mushrooms.

I'm pretty sure I tried Steve's recipe & it was delish!

As for technique - it looks like you should cook more & read less (and eat less too if you're with Benjamin Franklin
icon_smile.gif

Me, I can make anything taste good.

I like cookin over camp fires and ovens.

Back