HELP Funky Smelling Ribs (Smoking in Morning?)

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
HELP HELP HELP

I have a smoke planed for the morning for 12 coworkers. I just got 6 slabs of ribs ready tonight and the smelled funky. They are from Sam’s I purchased them Tuesday at lunch and they have been in a refrigerator ever since. I opened the first pack of 3 and they smelled funky I would say it was not putrid but not right the second was the same. The color is ok but they did have allot of blood with them and they felt a little slick. The package was dated use by 12/27/05. I have only done two other rib smokes using these same brand ribs but never had this smell. Can you guys give me any advice on weather I should use these or go buy a ham in the morning????

HELP HELP

Novice smoker
Mike

Hey, Doug neither of the vac packages were compromised. I am now down to the wire here I have prepped the meat and used my rub I guess I will have to cook them for a few hours and then make a decision.

Cryovac items always have a funky smell when you open. Rinse and rest a few minutes. They should be fine. If they still smell, then you may have a problem. I don't think so.

I feel for you. I opened up a cryovaced boneless pork shoulder from a warehouse store and swore it was bad. After I rinsed it and let it sit for a few minutes it was fine. I did have to take the trash out and run some lemon peel in the disposal.

You're also going to cook them well beyond "done". I would think that if they don't taste funny after being cooked you'll be okay. I'm not an expert by any means though.

Well, I am 2hrs into the cook and everything is running smooth right now. I let a couple of other folks smell them and they said they are ok but the taste test will be the truth.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M Menendez:
Well, I am 2hrs into the cook and everything is running smooth right now. I let a couple of other folks smell them and they said they are ok but the taste test will be the truth.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Mike, a real cook would have tasted it raw before they cooked it to see ifin it was OK.
icon_wink.gif

SMOKE was ABORTED!

After 3 hours on the WSM I took a good whiff of the meat and could smell the FUNK! So I had to run back to Sam's and return the half cooked ribs and purchased their already cooked ribs with sauce. Boy what a mess I did not have my receipt but they were kind enough to look things up using my membership card and refunded my money. The real bummer was the fact that I now had to eat these ribs cooked by Sam's and they do not hold a candle to the BRITU. I guess the moral of the story is I will never use any meet that is the least bit funky smell.

Mike

Back