Help for this weekend-first time for pork

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to que some pork for the first time on Sat. Should I go w/ butt/shoulder; bone-in/out?Also, I take it for long cooks, I shouldn't use lump; Up to this point I've just been using Kingsford for ribs and chicken.
Finally, the wife brought home some beef back ribs; never cooked beef ribs before-would those work well while cooking the pork? Thanks so much.

Eric

I've only just recently cooked my first pork shoulder in my WSM (have tended the smoker several times at a friends' place though), but here's my input.

All of the shoulders/butts I've taken part in cooking were bone-in butts.

A friend uses a combination of natural briquests, lump, and various hardwoods (oak, hickory, cherry), basically whatever's handy, in his homemade smoker. I haven't tried lump in my WSM yet and am sticking with Kingsford for now. It's been predictable (and quite easily procurred), which is nice at this stage of my Q'ing experience.

Can't help you with the beef ribs, but don't see why you couldn't do both at the same time. I've seen people throw butts and briskets (or ribs or chicken) on at the same time before.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

-Joe

I've done many butts and they have all been bone in. Personally, I think you're better off using the Kingsford for the butt and anything that has that long of a cook requires the Minion Method. You can read about this method on this web site.

At the start of the cook, I toss in about 5 fist size chunks of wood. My preference for pork is 3 chunks of oak and 2 chunks of hickory.

I can't help you on the beef ribs. For me, it's all about pork. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Eric Secker wrote:
Also, I take it for long cooks, I shouldn't use lump;
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Eric,
I've been using the WSM for about a year. I only cook with lump. Lump charcoal works just fine for long cooks, using the Minion method. It may take a little more attention to the bottom vents, as lump tends to burn hotter, but it works very well.
I recently did a 20 hour cook ( 12.5 lb picnic ), and I did have to add a few coals after 16 hours. One advantage of lump is that you can place cold chunks on the fire and let them catch. Doing the same with briquettes can create some undesirable flavors. I'm sure others here will disagree with me, but I don't care for the taste of anthracite.

Jim

If you are doing pork butt or a shoulder, make sure the thing gets up to 190 to 200 degrees internal temp. It will stay at around 160 for several hours, but wait it out.

After it is to temp, foil it and put in a cooler with towels to let it cool down for an hour or so. You won't be disappointed.

Sonny

Costco has great deals on pork butts - better call around though...doing a q this weekend and had to call two stores after wasting a trip to one to find out they only had one case left!!

(I agree with Mike - it's all about the Pork!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back