Help finding NEW temperature control shafts for Older Genesis

John Mulvanerty

Rebuilt the grill, works great. Want to replace nasty side tables mounted on grill with wood tables, already made. Need to purchase 3/4" longer shafts for gas temperature controllers. Any ideas?

it will likely be easier to replace the whole manifold rather finding someone with one of those valves. I believe there is a video showing how to service those valves if that may solve your problem.

Why do you need that? I'm not being negative, I'm just wondering how changing to wood tables would cause this need. Can you tell us:

What kind of grill?
Pictures help a lot
Why do you need longer shafts? Sometimes it is easy to lose this metal clip that holds the manifold in place, which could make the shafts dip below the control panel surface, it could be you are missing that clip.

Can you describe your grill, and the issue as exactly as you can? A picture would get you so much help you wouldn't believe it, and I can guarantee that we can solve this problem!

These valve stems are part of the valve and there are no longer ones available. Meaning you cannot not buy aftermarket valves with longer stems. At least I am not aware of it. You might to look into using knobs with longer plastic stems. The knobs from the later E-3xx series have long stems to reach down further.

Welcome John.

I'm guessing you want to replace the metal control panel with wood.

Look for D shaft extensions. I am not sure the shaft diameter. Maybe 5 /16?

Last edited:
From what I am getting, I don't think it is a Genesis E3xx grill. Pretty tough to replace those shelves with wood. my guess it is a Genesis 1000 with Durawood currently or maybe a silver B with Thermoset tables. With either of those, converting to wood should not require any modifications of the manifold or valves.

John, please provide the model of your grill, post up some photos and try to explain a little more about what you plan to do and the problems you are having.

The way I visualize it, he wants to replace the porcelainized sheet metal control panel of an early Gennie or Silver with a 3/4" wood panel that extends out to the end of the frame rails, so the whole area from the cookbox to the frame endcaps is a continuous wooden table. An option would be to use a hole saw and bore 1-7/8" or larger holes in the wood table to clear the existing knobs. You could get fancy with a router and pocket the area around the burner controls if you have the skill.

Last edited:
The way I visualize it, he wants to replace the porcelainized sheet metal control panel of an early Gennie or Silver with a 3/4" wood panel that extends out to the end of the frame rails, so the whole area from the cookbox to the frame endcaps is a continuous wooden table. An option would be to use a hole saw and bore 1-7/8" or larger holes in the wood table to clear the existing knobs. You could get fancy with a router and pocket the area around the burner controls if you have the skill.

I'm presuming the same thing. A pic would really help.

I assume he wants to replace the steel control panel with wood panel. If this is 3/4" wood the stems of the original gas knobs are too short to reach down to the valve stem. But the E-3xx knobs have a longer stem. I actually built one grill where I used stems from the E-3xx knobs in combination with water faucet handles.
If he has a Silver/Gold grill he might be able to swap the valves with valves from a x000 series which have a longer valve stem. But that means one needs to remove the valve bodies from the manifold.

If he has a Silver/Gold grill he might be able to swap the valves with valves from a x000 series which have a longer valve stem. But that means one needs to remove the valve bodies from the manifold.
Sadly, no can do. The Silver series valves are bolt through while the x000 series valves are taper (pipe) thread...

Man the extensions would be nice. I plan on delivering this grill this weekend so I will be figuring it out tonight no time to wait for parts

Back