HELP! Brisket Done Too Soon!

Mike B.

TVWBB Fan
It's 9:30 in the morning and the brisket I'm smoking for dinner at 7:00 tonight is already done.

What do I do. It won't hold in a cooler that long. Do I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge? should I let it cool down first? I've done searches, but can't find anything.

Originally posted by Mike B.:

...the brisket I'm smoking for dinner at 7:00 tonight is already done.

The same thing happened to me last Wed. with a 13 lb top sirloin. Started at 275 and couldn't bring down the temp fast enough, I should have pulled the sirloin out at the first hint of trouble. temp reached 130 internal in four hours. I was expecting six or more. Threw it in a cooler for four hours and I guess it didn't keep cooking, just a tad too rare and not enough doneness on the edges.

Donald

I feel your pain! I started one this morning at 8:30. I had been using Kingsford briquettes and have always had problems keeping the fire hot eneough. Well, this time I used wood charcoal, and boy did it get hot! It was 290 when I put on the brisket, and has stayed around 280 this whole time. Now, at 11:00, I'm already at 170. Lesson learned -- use less fuel!

Thanks for the replys guys. It's in the fridge now. I reckon I'll spray a little apple juice on it and wrap it back up and put it in the oven at around 250-300 for a couple of hours before dinner. At least the butt is on schedule.

Mike,

Did you foil at all? If so, I would cut the brisket while it's cold and dip in reheated juice to serve. My brisket was done way too early last week in Salisbury and after the fact I got this good info from Chris of Ique.

My plight was similar to yours Mike, however I was smoking pork butts. To this day, I really don't know why it cooked so fast. I double checked my thermometer (both with ice and boiling water) and it worked perfectly. The butts was cooking at a steady 250 temp. (if I remember correctly) at the lid. Both finished 9 hours early, which left me panicking at around 5:30am (dinner wasn't until 6-7pm). What I did was foil both butts and threw them in a ice chest with a lot of towels. When I pulled the butt at around 7, it was warm on the outside and a warmer in the inside (by no means hot) and was very very moist. Probably the best butt I have ever smoked.

Erik

Originally posted by craig castille:
Next time try the high temp method.

Brisket is cooked in 5 hours.

I do all mine this way now.

Little or no guesswork.

I have not had good results with the high temp method. The briskets came out way too greasy. I need to figure out where I'm going wrong before I try that again.

Bill

Originally posted by craig castille:
I haven't had that problem......

When are you foiling it?

I foil around 3 hours in, Kevin foils maybe a little sooner.

I've also been foiling about 3 hours in. I don't know why they came out so greasy.

Bill

Well, I reheated at 300 in a foil pan on a rack. I sprayed a little apple juice and covered with foil and heated to about 150. It was great!

I'm not too interested in the high temp to tell you the truth. I got into this for the low 'n slow.

Back