Hello to everyone on this forum!

RobM in So Cal

Just thought I would say hello. I recently decided to upgrade from my old Charbroil grill to a used Weber Silver B. I wanted to get into a new Weber Genesis but after looking at the price and hunting around for a used one I decided to buy one that needed some work. So, just wondering if the parts will be available for a long time coming? My Charbroil grill phased out their parts and went with just generic universal. So, I am into this for $50, plus paint, flavor bars, igniter, new front casters and I had to get the tank cover! 5 hours of labor cleaning it up. I cleaned the valves thanks to Chris A's tutorial. So, now I think I have to get new burners since there seems to be leaks that look yellow and reddish around the cross burner. Probably do that soon. Question to the community, what else should I inspect or expect? Also, my older tank which will need to go to the graveyard would not work with this? Do you know why? Cheers to this board, since it got me further in a shorter amount of time!IMG_20200719_143014964_HDR.jpg

You will get a lot more years out of that thing than any Charbroil. Flavorizer bars, burner tubes and cooking grates are three things that typically need periodic replacement. If you have those covered, you are good for a while. If not, there are some great aftermarket choices out there that rival or even beat weber quality but typically for a lot less money. If you need a new set of burner eventually, they will run you about $20 for an aftermarket set.

One thing you will want to keep an eye on is the the cross member on the frame than runs along the left side of the fire box. The area where the bolt goes through to mount the cook box tends to rust out and eventually to the point something has to be done or it has to be retired.

That grill is also a better cooking machine than the regular 3 burner Genesis II grills out now. The E/W burners are more versatile than the N/S burners on the new grills.

Ok, thanks (Bruce/Olympian) I will pay attention to the cross member bar, I saw your video which was excellent. I don't have your skill set or the tools to do something like that. But, I would like to know if there is any preventive I can do to minimize the rust out of that area? I don't think I could wrap it in exhaust tape or fit an extra sheet of metal for an additional heat shield. Also, which aftermarket parts are as good or better than Weber brand for less $$? Dumb question, what are E/W and N/S burners or the differences? Do you have any idea why my old tank would not work with the Weber? It worked with the charbroil but that was an internal left handed thread where the Weber threads on the outer threads right handed same as the refilling nozzle.

Ok, thanks (Bruce/Olympian) I will pay attention to the cross member bar, I saw your video which was excellent. I don't have your skill set or the tools to do something like that.
But, I would like to know if there is any preventive I can do to minimize the rust out of that area? I don't think I could wrap it in exhaust tape or fit an extra sheet of metal for an additional heat shield.

Don't try to wrap it in anything. That will just trap moisture and gunk, making it worse. I suggest you replace the bolt in there with a new SS bolt and nut and put a SS washer between the frame and cook box. It is something about the aluminum in close contact with the steel in conjunction with heat that promotes the corrosion on the bar. The washer will give it a little buffer.

Also, which aftermarket parts are as good or better than Weber brand for less $$?

If you go to the top of the Gas Grill forum, you will see the stickies. In there will be a link to replacement parts. There are various replacement parts listed. It is hard to say which are a better value than Weber parts unless you know exactly what type of parts you want. Like, do you want cast iron grates, SS solid rod grates, stamped SS grates, stamped porcelain coated grates, etc....... But generally, for any style of Weber part, you can find a host of similar parts for much less. Some will be a little lower quality, some will be equal and some might even be better quality.

Dumb question, what are E/W and N/S burners or the differences?

E/W burners are ones that run side to side in the cook box and N/S run front to back. The knobs are the easy give away as E/W grills have side knobs and N/S grills have front control knobs.

Do you have any idea why my old tank would not work with the Weber? It worked with the charbroil but that was an internal left handed thread where the Weber threads on the outer threads right handed same as the refilling nozzle.

Don't toss the tank, just take it to a propane tank exchange site where you turn in the old tank and get a new filled tank for about $15 to$20. The new tank will have the new style connector to match the Weber. Then you will have a spare tank so that when you run out of gas in the middle of the BBQ rib cook, you don't have to run out and get a refill.

Ok, thanks Bruce for your info.
I looked up the bolt - 1/4 -20 x 2 1/4 partial thread. I will get one with new SS washer and nut and replace.
That doesn't seem to be too hard to replace, I hope.
Quick question, I looked at different places online for the bolt but it appears a 2 1/2" fully threaded is easiest to find.
Will this work or do I need to source another. In my area there are HD, Lowes and Ace, they all are slightly different with availability.
I don't want to go to the hood if I don't have to.

Last edited:
WELCOME!!!!!!!!

After all these years, I finally get to find out who my favorite hero is. lol

Ok, thanks Bruce for your info.
I looked up the bolt - 1/4 -20 x 2 1/4 partial thread. I will get one with new SS washer and nut and replace.
That doesn't seem to be too hard to replace, I hope.
Quick question, I looked at different places online for the bolt but it appears a 2 1/2" fully threaded is easiest to find.
Will this work or do I need to source another. In my area there are HD, Lowes and Ace, they all are slightly different with availability.
I don't want to go to the hood if I don't have to.
If the bolt sticks out a half inch or so, that is not a big deal. I thought those bolts were 2" though...but Not sure.

Back