Hello from SE Massachusetts near RI

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I live on the Rt 95 corridor between Boston and RI and have been grilling my whole life. As a kid we had a red Weber kettle grill so when I got married I bought a Weber 22 inch kettle grill. In 2000 I bought a Silver B that is still going strong. This weekend I plan to do its first annual maintenance as the electric starter stopped working a few years ago, I also just quickly brushed the flame tubes, first time ever. It is not that we don't use it, we grill about 4-5 times a week YEARROUND :D

in 2000 I also bought a New Braunfels offset smoker and have had it for 13 years and have used it about the same number of times, 14.

I am finally catching the bug and am refurbishing the New Braunfels but have started looking for another smoker that will be easier to use.

I am reading this forum trying to decide between the WSM 18 and 22. We have 4 in our house, 2 of my 3 sons still live here (ages 25 and 27) and when I grill a 3 lb chicken we usually have some left over. If I make ribs we make 2 racks of BB's and sometimes have a couple left. The 18 seems to make the most sense based on what we consume. When I make steak we make a 2 pounder and have a little left over. But I do love smoked turkey legs!

Jeff

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Jeff..
I have an 18 WSM and happy with it. If money is not an issue just get 22.

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the forums! I sold my New Braunfels smoker and bought the 18" WSM. It's more than big enough for my purposes…I've NEVER put the bottom rack in. Whether money is an issue or not, I think the 18" WSM would be more than adequate for you! Spend the savings over the 22" WSM on meat (or accessories) and enjoy "the greatest smoke on Earth"!

Hey neybah , welcome to the forums . Great people here with tons of info . The 18 WSM sounds like the right choice for you , but the 22 is also a great choice . which ever one you get , you will enjoy it .

Jeff

Hey neybah , welcome to the forums . Great people here with tons of info . The 18 WSM sounds like the right choice for you , but the 22 is also a great choice . which ever one you get , you will enjoy it .

Jeff

Maybe I should have become "Walpole Jeff" but then they will think I am out on "work release" :cool:

So far I have been impressed with the info I have found here!

Jeff,
Welcome aboard. If you haven't already done so, see if you can find a place that has the 18.5 and 22 on display. I know they have them at the Cabela's near Hartford, but there is probably a place closer to you. The 22 is a beast!!! Seeing them both in the flesh made the 18.5 an easy decision for my circumstances, but of course you will need to judge based on yours...Good luck!

-Jeff

Lots of Jeff's on this forum!

Jeff - I just talked to the BBQ Barn in Arlington, just outside Boston and they have the 18 and the 22 on display so I am going to drop in there on Saturday. trying to visualize it from my 22" kettle is tough but I can imagine how big it is. When I talked to them they said that they had thought that the 22 would be a top seller but were surprised to find it moves very slow.
The thing I saw in some postings is that the 22 is easier to feed charcoal into where the 18 the water pan impedes access to the firebox, do you guys find that the case or do you just do the "hot squat" (for that I would think of putting handles on the middle unit)

I haven't had issues using the minion method on the 18, but have not done a marathon smoke yet...easily got 6 hours from a half full ring though....

Just returned from the BBQ Barn in Arlington, they have both the 18 and 22 on display next to each other :wsm: as well as some green "thing" that looks like a cross between a Sputnik and a washing machine :eek:

They had said the 22 was huge, I didn't think so, of course I am 6' 1" and 250 pounds (all muscle :p ) I didn't think so. They were very nice folks there and lots of accessories. I picked up some rib racks and charcoal holders for my kettle.

Used my New Braunfels Black Diamond yesterday to smoke some beef ribs. Now I know why people use the WSM! I had to fiddle with it every 15 minutes. I like the look of it, but in all my reading here the WSM doesn't need fiddling once you are up to temp.
I told my wife I want the 22 for a combination Father's Day/ 60th Birthday gift, or at least most of it would be covered by that. I think I will get the 22 as you can always cook down, will look at a 18 inch ring to go with it as well at the 22 ring, but if I get good at it I would hope to need the bigger capacity.

Back