Hello from San Diego, CA

JasonWilliams-CA

Hello everyone!

I am the proud owner of a new Weber 22" master touch charcoal grill. This is my first charcoal grill and I am very excited to start learning and get cooking.
A little background on my BBQ experience.
I would call myself a beginner for sure.
The house I bought 8 years ago, came with a built-in gas BBQ. I do not think it is a bad BBQ. I just do not enjoy cooking on it.
I have wanted to start getting into BBQ for quite some time. It was my birthday in August and decided to pull the trigger and get started.
After countless hours of research, trying to figure out what to buy (should I buy a pellet grill, a barrel smoker, a kamado etc. etc.) i landed on the weber kettle. MY reasons are several.
  • Great reputation and versatility of the weber kettle
  • i wanted to cook with charcoal. Something about it appeals to me.
  • I want to learn how to BBQ. How to use the dampers to control air flow and control the temperature. I am more of a hands-on individual.
  • I want to BBQ a variety of things.
  • The ability to add mods and accessories.
Just a small list of items I want to BBQ:

• ribs
  • pork butt
  • chicken (all different ways)
  • steak, burger and dogs
  • veggies
  • always looking to try new things
I have some food allergies in the family (nothing to bad) but I will need to get creative and make my own rubs and sauces. One of my family members is allergic to the pepper family (bell, hot and paprika). I look it as a challenge, but also a way to get creative with my rubs and sauces. A learning experience. :)

I am very excited to get started. I also know I have a lot to learn and have a lot of questions as I progress on my journey.
Looking forward to chatting with folks on this board!

Cheers!
Jason

Welcome from Kalona, IA. You will enjoy your experience with your new Weber and with the friendly, helpful members here. They will have answers to your questions and helpful hints along the way. Light up the charcoal and get started!

Welcome, from NorCal! Charcoal is king. You’ll learn about briquettes and lump coals here. And using wood too. And the cooks here can be quite diverse. Ask away with any questions you have. We all started as basic level and have grown since then.

If you don’t own one already, a quality instant read thermometer is key to getting food done safely and to desired doneness.

Wherever you want to start, just ask away.

Forgot to add- I'm not allergic to those things, they are just too hot for me. lol That is why most of the recipes I post will be safe for you to make.

Thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome.
I am very excited and cannot wait for my first cook! :)

@Brett-EDH Yes! I invested in a thermoworks thermapen one based on reviews and recommendations. It was on sale during labor day weekend so seemed great time to purchase. I was also gifted a thermopro TP25 unexpectedly, but I am eager to test that out. I am anxious to see how it works testing the temp on the grill and comparing to the weber thermometer that is builtin. My hope is to learn how to dial my temps.

@Anthony Spitzer @DanHoo Thank you! Excited to be here!

@Joan Thank you for the thread. Those should be very helpful. I have some ideas to make my own. The more I can learn, the better.

Back