Hello from Idaho

ChrisG

TVWBB Member
I have owned a Genesis Silver B since new (DD serial number so 2000, I believe) but it's been stored for three years and never properly deep cleaned. Other than a lot of crud built up, the stainless grates are OK, the Flavorizer bars (coated iron, I think) are showing some pitting and rust but still sound, the burners are good and the connections all seem to be good with no leaks. I had some humming at the regulator yesterday but the grill and propane tank were in direct sun half the day and I think it was more heat/thermal related.

I also own an early 2000 era Weber Kettle but haven't used charcoal in ages. Looks fine but had to replace the cooking grate and briquette grate. Edited to add, I also have a Q 1000 I bought around 4-5 years ago camping or local picnics but haven't used it (nor camped since 2019). I also thought I might be able to use it during bad weather on our open but covered side porch. Haven't done that either. Sigh...

Simply cook here - mostly steak, burgers, chicken pieces, and some veggies (zucchini, red pepper, corn).

Anyway, I registered so I could look around, maybe ask a few questions, and check out the images of the older grill restorations.

Last edited:
Welcome Chris

I do restorations along with some other talented great guys here

I really wish there was a restoration section with everyones projects but you kinda have to search to find.

Last edited:
Thanks @Josh. Other than replacing the Flavorizer bars and grill plates, both of which are in OK enough shape, my biggest goal is to try to figure out how to clean the green painted lid. The paint is sound but on the top rear and back side of the lid is some sort of gunk that needs to be buffed off. I can remove it with my thumb nail but I need to find a better solution. The Silver B lived outside for a time but has been mostly covered or in the garage for the bulk of its 24 years. Originally, I thought I should replace the grill until I discovered much of the issue was gunk, most of which is now cleaned up. I suppose an oven cleaner wouldn't be the worst idea on the inside and I thought about the new parts I mentioned but Weber wants a dear price for them and I'm a bit worried about buying the off-brand Chinese parts on Amazon. I suppose with the grill plates and Flavorizer bars, it doesn't make a lot of difference but I don't like supporting those companies that rip off American designs.

0000 steel wool and simple Green.
Do NOT use Scotch Brite pads

Razor blade on the inside of the lid works crazy good

I like QuliMetal as a upper mid level option for Flavorizer bars and grill grates and on my high-end restorations I like to get custom Fabricated 304 SS flavorizer bars from a guy we know in California. They are the best and Weber part #9930 grill grates but they are hard to find and getting pricey.

Last edited:
0000 steel wool and simple Green.
Do NOT use Scotch Brite pads

Razor blade on the inside of the lid works crazy good
Outstanding! I've got 0000 steel wool and may have some simple green. If not, I'll grab a bottle. I sort of figured a couple of car polishing products would work but the McGuiers (sp) cleaner polish I had on hand didn't do a thing. I got the upper inside lid pretty well cleaned up with a couple of putty knives. The insides were a D-. Now they are almost a B-. ;)

I thought about the new parts I mentioned but Weber wants a dear price for them and I'm a bit worried about buying the off-brand Chinese parts on Amazon. I suppose with the grill plates and Flavorizer bars, it doesn't make a lot of difference but I don't like supporting those companies that rip off American designs.
Chris, Weber handed those designs over to the Chinese when they decided to start making their parts there instead of here like they used to. You're paying for Chinese parts any way you look at it.

Thanks, fellas. Lotta good info. Anyone want a side hustle and come to Idaho for a couple days? I got a big circular drive out in the country for your rig. ;)

Seriously, I'll have to gather up a couple more items and give it a go. Thanks for the thoughts on not being married to Weber labeled parts. Measuring is the key for the off-brand, I think. I'm really mostly looking to take some more years of build up off and get the green paint all shiny again. It's sound. Maybe tomorrow I can post a couple additional photos. But to start, here's what the exterior looked like on Friday after a light clean up (it's one step better today):

IMG_4651.jpeg

Made two burgers Friday night for a quick test which gives you a look at the original SS grates and the underlying Flavorizer bars (coated steel, not SS):

74433617767__8DF79ADA-002C-4B38-8C30-B68DA7FEA264.jpeg

And here is the result of tonight's quick Flap Steak grill (seasoned with EVOO and SPG). First time with this cut a butcher suggested I try. OMG! I waited to long to get a way from sirloin, strip, tri-tip, etc. This is a great cut of beef.

74442643046__839B72C7-D865-4316-9859-E67AC5798162.jpeg

So things are working fine (I'm a bit rusty) but I just want to get it spruced up more and in as good a working order as I can. Remember, I've had this thing 24 years in the Southern Idaho high desert. Photos make it look one step nicer than it actually is. Interior needs more gunt removed but its the green lid I'd lake to make sparkle again. I think these are high enough quality images that one can zoom in for a closer look at the exterior and grills. Also, I ordered the Unicook 55" grill cover for $25 which should be a good fit. I had a Weber and another brand and neither lasted more that a year or so with our winters. Now, I just want the cover for temperate weather and garage the grill over winter.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Chris from what I think may be the only other active member in Idaho. Where in Idaho are you located?

I’ve been here almost 4 years. Haven’s discovered a “bad” part yet.
Give it another few years (I've been here for 30 this month). The state culture is terrific but some parts of the state, less so. However, it' my intention to stay here until the end. I always joke that Idaho is the last best state except for Wyoming and it's only because Wyoming can be a hard life outside of Jackson. ;)

Back