Hello from Boston, MA

John G (Boston)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone!! New member here from MA. I've had a Weber kettle grill for a good 20 years and wanted to add a gasser to my cooking toolbox. Like many here, I set out to buy a new gas grill and was dismayed at the quality of today's grills. I lurked in the forum here for a while, reading about the old Genesis grills, and I set out to get one. Well... That didn't go so great.

I found a 2001-2002 Silver B for 25 bucks. It seemed pretty innocent at the time.
What could go wrong. I mean, really, what harm could come from an old grill - there wasn't even a tank with it.

But then things started to go downhill. In a scrap pile I found a 2005 with a green hood and pin striping - couldn't leave that there. Very soon after I found a 2004 (black). How could I let such a finely built grill go to scrap? Had to take it. Gosh, now that makes three.

And then this happened. I found a Genesis 1000 Redhead, dumped for dead next to a dumpster. By this time, I knew I should be carrying THE rescue tools in my car (you know, slip joint pliers, philips screwdriver, and a 7/16 wrench). But I was flying tool-less and had to LEAVE the poor redhead there while I made a trip home for implements.

I made it back to the dumpster in time and snagged the redhead. I believe it to be an earlier 1000 (wood tables and a nut-and-bold securing the cookbox). The frame is pretty much rust free, although bent - more on this later. OK... I told myself "that's it - no more".

Hmmm... Yeah, well we could hope. But you know how this goes.

How could I just leave a GREEN Genesis 1000 and keep a clear conscience? This one is also pretty much rust free. I believe it to be a later 1000 because it has the heat shield to protect the dura-wood table (tables are missing) and it has a threaded cookbox boss for the mounting bolt (like a Silver). It also has a dura-wood handle.

Gosh. That's five grills. Can Weberitis be so bad that one needs to isolate, avoiding scrap piles and trash day?

Thank You for this great forum,

-John (Boston)

John, first off WELCOME!!!!!

Second, I think you better go to the Doctor. I hear that condition is very hard to get rid of. Just how big is your back yard? lol

Welcome John,

Doctor won't be able to help. Masks won't help. No vax avail. You can slow the spread by staying away from dumpsters, and FBM, and CL though.

So, what are the plans for the 1000s ?

Thank You, everyone... Plans for the two 1000's are to restore them (or as a last resort, combine them if need be). I have already started on the redhead, which is going to be a bit of a challenge. Both 1000's are apart and inside my tractor shed, out of the weather. I'll post about the restoration in the gas grill section of the forum.

-John (Boston)

Hey John! I'm in the area, so if you need any genesis parts please let me know-- maybe we can trade! I have a couple of older gennys and spirits for parts.

I also know of a Weber Graveyard in the area.

First rule about the Weber graveyard is we don’t talk about the Weber graveyard…

If it’s the same one it’s in the Boston MA area. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. He’s pretty generous with his time.

I don’t have any contact info

Back