Hello from Auckland, New Zealand

AnthonyAshwin

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say Hi from New Zealand. I've been playing around with charcoal grills for a few years now, but never really tried smoking until about 5 years back when i got a weber kettle. I only had cheap copies prior to that, and i found temperature control was too hard. Recently i got the smaller 37cm (14 inch) weber smokey mountain, and when i have time (not often) I like to cook pulled pork for my family. I have 2 growing kids who love their protein - so it's a win-win currently.

When I started looking for a new smoker I noticed that many of the local guys at competitions used other alternatives. In particular ProQ, or Oklaholma Joe Bronco's seem commonplace, so it seems weber still have some work to do here locally. I would point out that American BBQ has really only taken off in the past few years here in NZ, probably similar to Australia & Europe I suppose. Prior to that a 'BBQ' was a simple act of tanning sausages and/or steak on a hot plate for 10 minutes in the evening whilst have a beer with friends.

Anyway, I've been very happy with my WSM so far. It seems very easy to drive, and there's always plenty of information available to learn from (youtube, books, forums). I've especially gained alot of great knowledge already from this forum - so thank you guys!

cheers
Anthony

welcome!
I've got family in Auckland & Hamilton NZ as well as in Australia
I will be seeing some of them in July!
Cheers!

Welcome Anthony. I am always impressed at the enthusiasm for outdoor cooking from those in New Zealand and Australia side of the world.
They sure love their Weber Q's & BBQ cooking.

Back