Hello fellow gassers.....its been a while for me! Question about a Spirit 3 burner igniting the crossover....hunting.....unless all three burners are

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....I picked up a flipper that I am working on. A 3 burner Spirit with side burner. I have her all cleaned up and ready to advertise but I wanted to check with you guys to make sure something is normal. I did replace the regulator and the burners ( cheap amazon version ). I had to tune these burners to work correctly but now they are dialed in. My issue is as follows. When I light burner number one by itself it fires right up but the crossover tube doesnt stay lit all the way across....yet it pops and hunts and ignites the free flowing gas that is trying to run the length of the cross over. The same thing occurs if I light burner one and burner two. The only way I can get the grill to run quiet and correctly is to light all 3 burners .....or light burner one and burner 3 which in both scenario's the cross over tube then stays lit all the way across so no popping....igniting and hunting. I dont recall this issue with other grills that used the cross over burner. That said the grill works perfectly if I form a bridge from burner one to burner three getting the entire crossover lighted all the way across....or all three burners on.
What say you.......is this normal?
I will try to upload my vid but I doubt it will work. As20220526_122718.jpg

As I thought the vid wont upload....I forgot the magic trick of how to upload a vid to the site

As I thought the vid wont upload....I forgot the magic trick of how to upload a vid to the site
Hi Jim, the crossburner design is flawed in my opinion. Crossburner Too long and fits poorly on the center tube.

My experience is replacing the burners makes things better. The aftermarket ones had fit and finish issues. The Weber ones were better.

The thing that always bothered me with that generation of Spirits is the length of time it takes for everything to fully light.

It is normal. With just one burner on, the first valve will push enough gas for the first burner plus a bit extra which goes out the crossover tube. It fluctuates slightly which causes the flames to jump from one end to the other. I suppose it may happen a bit more or less depending on the specific burners, but I would not consider it a "problem". If you dial up or down the valve, it will likely quit making the noise. Having three burners all on will usually push enough "extra" gas through the crossover to keep it lit across its length.

Thanks guys.....I have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. I dont like selling grills that in my mind I have to apologize for. In reality they wont find a cleaner grill for miles and miles and miles. Very few of us scrape inner hoods to mirror finishes and such.

Yup. What Bruce said.

Here is my 1000 with front burner on high, and the flame barely goes halfway. I was cleaning it up and was curious so I took a Pic.

20220527_190018.jpg

Yah, those burners are functioning totally perfect. There is enough flame to light the middle burner but not more than necessary. If you need to light the rear burner, it will push more gas into the cross over tube and allow the flame to travel all the way across the cross over tube to light the rear burner.

If that photo is pretty much how the flames look all the time with the front burner on, then be confident your grill is working as designed.

Back