"Heavy" smoke flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I picked up this quote out of another thread: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I love offsets and the fun of tending a fire. I also prefer the heavier smoke flavor you can get with an offset.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

First question: Is this a true statement? I've never cooked on an offset, so I have no reference baseline.

Second question: If the first one is true, how does one increase the "smoke" flavor in a piece of meat on the WSM? I know that too much too fast can impart a bitter taste.

What is the best process for a deep, heavy smoke flavor (wood of your choice) without compromising the taste of the seasonings? (two distinct taste components in my mind)

I had a limited experience with an offset because I didn't enjoy using it. The smoke flavor of the food was heavier and I didn't like that. I used wood as a primary fuel source and it produces more smoke than charcoal does. I'm sure there are tricks to controling the smoke, but I never learned them. Maybe like letting the wood burn down to a certain level ?

For a stronger smoke taste on the WSM use more wood or wood with a stronger flavor. If the food taste bitter you may be experiencing stale smoke.

As to the last question I imagine trial and error is the only way to find that perfect combination for you.

Paul

Steve
A WSM will not put as much smoke on as an offset, so you need to use stronger woods, hickory, oak, or mesquite should do the job for you. The correct amount of wood is something you are going to have to judge for yourself by cooking with different amounts over a number of cooks.
The reason for this is an offset just plain moves more smoke through the cooker. A lot of the foiling techniques you find now are because offset users were trying to limit some of the smoke across the meat. As time went on it developed into what you have today with the 3/2/1 methods with ribs and foiling of briskets and butts.
Jim

IMO the idea is to enhance the flavor of the meat, not turn it into a log. That being said if you want to balance the heavy smoke flavor without compromising spice flavor be bold with your spices. Add more pepper, chili powder et. Or just make sure to use bold spices that speak up when you use them. What kind of spices do you use now?

While the statement is true as a generalization you can put on all the smoke flavor you ever want with a WSM. The trick is to use the right woods for a nice flavor.

I agree with Konrad, although my best butts (smokey flavor wise) were cooked on my NB offset using mostly wood for heat and smoke.

The trick, as Jim and Konrad said, is to use a stronger wood--mesquite, oak, etc. You also can get more smokey flavor by starting out with the meat cold. It helps the smoke ring, and it seems to help smoke absorbtion. Also, keep the WSM smoking throughout a longer period and that should help.

Dale

This has been my only problem with the WSM. It seems to be difficult for myself to get a good heavy smoke flavor in the meat. I've used offsets before and have no problem getting that flavor. It's been getting better lately because I've been pounding the meat with lots of hickory. Now, I just put in about 3-4 fist sized chunks when I start (if I put in more then there won't be a whole lot of room for the charcoal) and I continually add a bunch wood throughout the cook.

I'm surprised you can't get a heavy smoke flavor. I remember when I first started using the WSM I made every beginner's mistake. Used way too much wood and kept on adding. My wife reminds me every time I fire up the WSM about the first four or five cooks. The whole family coughed up soot for days! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Well, not quite that bad, but it was pretty strong.

If you're looking for stronger smoke then:

1) Use stronger woods (i.e. - hickory)
2) Use more wood
3) Do not pre-burn wood. Put the meat on
then throw the wood on the fire.
4) Continue adding wood as it burns down.
This is only necessary for the first
few hours of the cook.

Follow those steps and I guarantee it'll be smokey enough that nobody'll go near the food but you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Brian,

As many people have noted in previous discussions, usually the meat doesn't "taste" as smokey the 1st day. A lot of this has to do with the fact you have been breathing in smoke for many hours so the food doesn't taste smokey. Is this the case with your meat as well? Does it taste smokier the next day or is it still not smokey?

This may not be your answer, but I figured I would throw one more variable out there.

Jon

Steve.

One wood I find that lays on a heavy smoke in both color and flavor is alder. Its easy to get a hold of in the northwest.

Charlie

Thanks for the advice. However, I tried all of those things and it still doesn't work. I just did another cook on Saturday night and you just can't taste the smoke (that day or any day after). I'm using all hickory and I'm putting plenty of it in there. I'm going to have to experiment with the top vent soon because there isn't much "bbq" flavor in the meat right now. I've never had the problem in my offset and my wife also says there isn't much smoke flavor. I need to do something cause it's getting bland.

Charlie
Smoke flavor is a matter of what you are used to. If you smoke cigs or seagars then you may like stronger flavors. If you are from different parts of the country hickory or mesquite are must because that is what you are used to.
In fact Alder is one of the mildest woods you can use.
Brian
By closing the top vent down chances are you will produce creasote to some degree. I have met people that if there is no hint of that flavor then it's not strong enough. The chances are what you call strong smoke flavor would be way to much for other folks.
One thing you can try is to spray a mop on the meat that contain veg. oil, it will collect smoke on the meat and may help up get the stronger flavor you are after. Add wood through out the whole cook, as long as you add it will continue to lay smoke on the meat.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back