Heating Brine

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In a recent correspondence (off list), Keri C. mentioned that she simmered her brine "concoction" then let it chill before adding her chicken.

I was curious as to the general concenus on whether heating the brine really does add to the flavor. I'm all for incorporating this step; it's just that since bringing the mixture to a boil then letting it chill enough to add the chicken could possibly add hours to the prep time, I didn't want to add this step if the benefits are negligible. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Considering some popular brine flavoring ingredients include peppercorns, allspice berries, candied ginger, etc, I would think boiling would be the best if not the only way to get the flavoring components of such items into solution.

As an alternative, you could make up your brine recipe with half the liquid to start, boil it to dissolve solids, and then add ice water to make up the difference to get the mixture closer to the necessary sub-40* temperature more quickly.

I try to do mine this way early in the day so the brine is thoroughly chilled and ready to use for an overnight brining.

Chris, you can also keep a few plastic icepacks in the freezer for just such occasions. Use Doug's suggestion of simmering the brine with half the amount of liquid, add ice and ice water to make up the rest of liquid after you've simmered, and THEN dump a few solid frozen plastic icepacks into the brine to help chill it down even faster.

Keri Cathey
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I've also done a similar step and created an ice-water bath in the kitchen sink and floated the brine boiling pot in it after diluting the too-strong brine with ice water. Too much frozen Q in my freezer for plastic ice packs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back