HeaterMeter with laptop

Todd E.

TVWBB Member
I'm just digging into this and have a question about the computer side of the build. Has anyone tried to substitute a Linux laptop to take the place of the RPi? I have done this with an Arduino Uno for a beer fermentation controller using the BrewPi software and didn't know if the HM project could work the same way.

If the WiFi side is RPi dependent, which is the preferable model, A or B? I'm thinking that if you put the wireless shield on the Arduino you can use the Model A. Or use the Model B and it's ethernet to get to the router and serve the web GUI. I'm also not as smart as I look so I hope this isn't too much of a throwaway question.

Todd

Sure, the Pi could be replaced using an Linux box and an FTDI cable connected to the FTDI port on the HeaterMeter. You'd need to get LuCI up and running on PC Linux which isn't horribly difficult for someone with a programming background. If that's your cup of tea then there isn't theoretically anything holding it back other than the impracticality of the finished solution.

I prefer the A model Pis because they're cheaper and after the 2 minutes it takes to connect it to wifi you'd probably never use the B's ethernet jack again. The A model you have to connect a monitor and a keyboard and type a command `wifi-client (your ssid) (your password)` to get it to connect to your wifi the first time.

You also mentioned an Arduino Wifi Shield. Those are utter crap. Expensive as all get-out, woefully underpowered (in the memory and cpu power departments), and extremely limited in what they can do. The Pi with a wifi dongle is cheaper, faster, stronger, and more versatile.

Off topic post: Brewing? I'm into that too!

I don't use a BrewPi for the fermentation but I've got my own temperature controllers I've built both for the fermenter (with a wireless probe) and the kegerator. I'm currently working on the software for some transmitters I've built that record and can control the brew part of the process using some wireless boards I've hacked onto the insides of some cheap stock PID controllers.

Ahhh ... another Kal convert. I'm sllooowly moving to make my pots electric/LP convertible and have plans to build the PID controller at least for the HLT.

Anyway ... back on topic ... thanks for the info. I like the part about .."other than the impracticality of the finished solution." So, I think I'll use this as an opportunity to mess around with the RPi. It's amazing how much technology we can throw at such primal activities like fermenting sugars and cooking meat over fire. How did the Sumerians or Homo erectus ever do without?

Todd

Last edited:
I think it is any activity that takes a long time with a lot of idle time involved, you start to invent new solutions. Add in some alcohol and things really get creative.

Another Off-Topic

Nice brewery. I'm also in to brewing/automation a fair bit. Have a BrewTroller eHERMS build (arduino based).
IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

I'm certainly NOT going to post a picture of my brewery after seeing these two, WOW. So Bryan, when is Brewermeter going to be made public or is it on a homebrew forum already?

I'm certainly NOT going to post a picture of my brewery after seeing these two, WOW. ...
If it would help I'll dig my Mr Beer out of the closet and snap some pics so yours isn't the lamest looking one here.;)

PS: Those are definitely a couple nice looking brew setups.

Last edited:

Back