HeaterMeter - The Maiden Voyage

JShaulis

Thanks to Bryan for posting this project and more specifically posting in the reddit bbq area. I just happened to stumble upon the free giveaway you where doing. I signed up for the contest and about 45 seconds later ordered everything anyways as I knew I needed to do this. Fast forward 2 weeks-ish and I have received everything.

I promptly dug out the soldering iron and did my best how remembering how to use the thing.

After the first two not so nice looking solders, it all came back together for me (I have not touched the iron since college).

3 hours later, she is up and running on my first attempt!

That was Tuesday, now it is time to take her for a ride. I have put on a 13 lb brisket on my big green egg with my not so nice looking rig up for the fan and she has been cooking since 6:30pm.

PHOTO'S!!!

I was/am trying to post my live cook, but that has been the only thing I have NOT been able to get working. I signed up for a no-ip account, I believe I set up port forwarding correctly (this is most likely the part that is not correct) and believe I set up the no-ip settings correctly, but I get nothing. Details on this:
Heatermeter is connected wirelessly to my router at 192.168.1.146.
Router is set up to forward 192.168.1.146 port 80 to 184.60.75.34 port 8080
I downloaded the no-ip DUC app which says my ip address is 184.60.75.34 (obviously this is for my laptop but I assume the hm would have the same external ip address)
I set up the no-ip account for DNS Host A with an ip address of 184.60.75.34.
When I attempt to connect to jshaulis.ddns.net:8080 (both by wifi or via cell phone not connected to wifi) I get nothing.

Last edited:
Good lookin HM pics and brisket!

With regards to the port forwarding rules, you normally don't have to specify the external IP anywhere in the rule. You basically configure it to forward port 8080 to 192.168.1.146 port 80. It's also possible that your ISP is blocking incoming ports.

Back