Healthy Fatties???

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Ok, this last weekend I thought I'd make some turkey fatties rolled in my usual stuff. Cooked them to 170 internal. They tasted like sawdust. I'm ready to toss them. Any ideas on what I did wrong or suggestions?

I think you cooked an oxymoron.
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gif

Bill

When I make home made turkey breakfast sausage, I add olive oil to the mix to help with that very problem.

Perhaps adding a healthier oil like that would work in the case of a turkey fattie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
I think you cooked an oxymoron.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You beat me to it, Bill.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't buy ground turkey but I would think it would be fatty enough. When I grind turkey for sausage it is. Fat additions aren't neccessary unless you plan to cook the sausage slowly.

If you want to make turkey sausage without additional fat make the sausages (links or patties) on the smaller, not-too-thick side and cook quickly. Don't take the internal too high--161 is all you need. If using all or mostly dry flavoring ingredients add asplash of ice cold water or juice to the turkey before mixing. (The turkey should be very cold and the mixing bowl cold before mixing. Return the bowl to the fridge to get cold again after mixing is complete and before forming the links or patties.) Sausages like this are best fried or grilled direct.

For sausage that you wish to cook more slowly a fat addition is necessary but you can get away with less if you use some fresh ingredients in your mix and/or moisture/fat-trapping ingredients like egg white, starches, grains, dried fruit, etc.

Kevin, you're probably right about the turkey sausage. I just took the internal too high. I used the poultry finishing temp guidelines for a goal. I'll try 160 next time and see if that's better<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I don't buy ground turkey but I would think it would be fatty enough. When I grind turkey for sausage it is. Fat additions aren't neccessary unless you plan to cook the sausage slowly.

If you want to make turkey sausage without additional fat make the sausages (links or patties) on the smaller, not-too-thick side and cook quickly. Don't take the internal too high--161 is all you need. If using all or mostly dry flavoring ingredients add asplash of ice cold water or juice to the turkey before mixing. (The turkey should be very cold and the mixing bowl cold before mixing. Return the bowl to the fridge to get cold again after mixing is complete and before forming the links or patties.) Sausages like this are best fried or grilled direct.

For sausage that you wish to cook more slowly a fat addition is necessary but you can get away with less if you use some fresh ingredients in your mix and/or moisture/fat-trapping ingredients like egg white, starches, grains, dried fruit, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted a Turkey/chicken hab sausage a couple of years ago that has no fat added. I use thighs for sausage because the fat content is plenty for our purpose.

Jim

Back