Hawaiian Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey BBQ Lovers in the Northwest,

Just had lunch at a small cafe around the corner from my office in Vancouver, Washington. Had their Huli Huli Style Chicken (boneless marinated grilled thighs) that was awesome. also sampled their Kal Bi Ribs (Korean style) that are worth searching for a recipe to recreate.

Anyone have recipes for either?

In BBQ Bible by Steve Raichlen (p. 146), there's a recipe for Kalbi Kui, Korean Grilled Short Ribs. Don't know if it's OK to give the recipe, but here goes (this book is worth buying):

2 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch lengths and butterflied (the book has an illustration)
1/2 Asian pear or regular pear, peeled and cored
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 scallions, both white and green, trimmed
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBS Asian (dark) sesame oil
2 TBS honey
2 TBS sake or dry sherry
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Place ribs in a large non-reactive serving dish.
2. Roughly chop the Asian pear, garlic & the scallions & combine in a blender with the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Process to a smooth puree. Pour marinade over the ribs, cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
3. Preheat grill to high.
4. Oil the grate, arrange the ribs on hot grate and grill, turning 2 to 3 minutes per side (4 to 6 minutes in all) for well done.
5. To eat, cut meat off the bone and wrap it in romaine lettuce leaf. Dip the beef and lettuce in dipping sauce (recipe follows from p. 486).

Asian Pear Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sake or dry sherry
1/4 cup sugar
1 small Asian pear, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
4 scallions, white & green parts, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 TBS sesame seeds, toasted

Combine all ingredients into bowl. Serve immediately.

Give us a report!

Richard

Used to eat Kalbi, korean short ribs all the time while I was stationed in South Korea. They are awesome. Didn't hurt that a cute korean girl would come out and cook them at your table and wait on you hand and foot. Always made sure your beer glass was full
icon_smile.gif

No offense ladies but thats service. And I tip good service well.

Matt, What branch of the service are you in? My son is in the Marines and is stationed in Hawaii.

Nick P.

Dale - please post your results after trying this recipe. Photos too.
icon_smile.gif

There are a couple of Korean restaurants in this area. I enjoy the various kim chee dishes served with meals.

Richard

Man... Dale,

They didn't have any food like that when I lived in Vancouver. That was 13 yrs ago though. I imagine it's changed a lot.

Still think about the blue berry milk shakes at the state fair out there. Mmmmmm

Let us know how the food comes out.

Sorry, no pictures, but...

Followed the recipe exactly--except I added some shredded fresh ginger. Results were very good, with wife and family friends chowing down on the ribs. Personnally, I would have preferred them to be more tender, which may be due to slight over-cooking on my part. Time to experiment.

One note--even if you double the meat recipe, no need to double the dipping sauce recipe. I did that and have plenty left over for ?? It does remind me of the sauce they give you for potstickers, so we may freeze leftovers and try it the next time we make those critters.

Dale-
I used to make Kalbi years ago when I lived in the Bay Area. (Haven't thought of that till saw this thread!) Anyway, we often had an abundance of sauce and would used it on potstickers, as you mentioned, and on pear nectar-soy marinated grilled boneless chicken breasts and thighs, with lime squeezed over for a finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back