Hardwood Fire Hazard

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
I did an all day smoke yesterday - pot roast a la stogie, oxtails, corn on the cob, sausage links, and turkey thighs. After removing all the food and both grills, I closed down the vents, and put the top back on. This usually suffice to exhaust the fire.

Today, I kicked the legs on the WSM to knock some ashes loose. This action partially opened one of the vents. A couple hours later, I passed by the WSM and it was unnaturally warm. I looked in and discovered the darn charcoal had re-ignited!

WARNING TO ALL: leave your WSM airtight for a couple of days to completely kill the flames. Leave the WSM cover off until you are certain those coals are cold.

I have found that unlike my kettles, my WSMs are not airtight enough to extinguish a fire.

I've installed wire handles to my charcoal grate. If I want to put out my coals, I lift the entire bottom grate and place it in a kettle.

I believe this is a safer and more sure solution to extinguishing charcoal.

Had a similar experience. Got done with a smoke about 9AM and closed all the vents down. I emptied the ashes into an ash can about 7:00 that night.

The next day, while doing some yard work, I decided it was time to empty the ash can. As I dumped it, I notices a couple of sparks. By the time I came back to the hose to wet down the askes, there was already some smoking. I'm just happy I saw the sparks.

I didn't think the coals would be able to stay lit 1) in a closed down WSM for 10 hours and 2) in a nearly full ash can (32 gallon) they stayed lit for another 20 hours.

After shutting down my WSM completely, I restarted a MM fire by removing the middle section for 5 minutes and exposing the charcoal bowl to open air. The exterior of the WSM felt cold, but obviously there was life left. I now wait at least 2 days before putting the cover on the WSM.

Although I've just joined the WSM owners club I use another method.

To me - saving charcoal for the next burn isn't worth the effort. I open the vents wide open and let it burn. That way - only a few ashes, put them in a garbage sack with the water from the water pan and we're good to go. Of course, I leave the ash and water bag on my shop patio concrete deck for a few days before discarding it.

Or . . .

Tape the door shut.

Mine goes stone cold (almost) within an hour, using lump.

The vents seem to work fine, I think the door is the culprit.

Back