Happy fourth, all

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The spares are slathered and rubbed, the salmon is ready to go, and I'm heading off to bed. Have a great fourth of July, folks. I'm sure there's gonna be a whole lot of great 'Q made by the good people here.
Jim

Some of us have already started /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I flicked the Bic around 1:30 this morning and put the 10# picnic on at 2 sharp. Now it's bedtime. Minion will steer me home, hahaha. I've got the vents about 1/3 open, half a chimney of hot coals on a couple chunks of apple and 1+ chimneys of fresh Kingsford. I'm looking forward to chucking the spareribs and chickens on tomorrow morning, provided I wake up in time!

Thanks for the well-wishes! Happy 4th of July to you as well, and good luck to everyone on their cooks!!

Just getting ready to pull my four butts off the WSM. They went on at 9:30pm Thusday night, 28 total lbs. two are at 190 and two are at 184, at 9:34am. The greatest thing about the whole cook...the WSM, using the Minion, varied from 245 to 250 all night, and I got some sleep.

Happy Q'n, Happy 4th to all!!!

Lazy here today....Hot and Humid

So it's going to be a quick grill, at high, direct heat of some sliced, previously smoked and vacuum frozen beef ternderloin. It's the first time I've thawed out meat that was vacuum sealed by my FoodSaver. I figure a minute or two on each side and I'm eating.

I have a pasta salad all set, and a pot of corn ready to steam up.

I figure I'll be eating in time for the first pitch, Yankees-RedSox at 4pm edt.

Smoked Beef, Pasta salad, Corn on the cob, Yankees/Red Sox, and some real cold beer. mmm Don't get much better!!

Happy Fourth to you all!!!

P.S. Maybe I'll try my first beer can chicken on Sunday with some country-style ribs. Haven't tried either, but figure they'll be compatible in the smoker for the same time, give or take.

P.P.S. Bruce - Don't you just love butts on an overnighter? I did my first a couple of weekends ago. They came out awesome and the WSM worked just like everyone talks about, as I expected it would. Enjoy your pork!

My two butts have been on since 10:30 last nite, so it's been 14 hours now. They are still registering at 180 degrees. I am starting to worry. They are on the top rack, and the temp of 230 was maintained all nite long. Now it's running at 220, and put spares on around 10 a.m. this morning. I am being patient, not wanting to pull them too early. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jane,

I've seen posts about the stagnation of internal temps, it seems you just have to ride it out. I haven't done a butt yet, but don't you want the temp about 185? If so, taking it off at 180 should result in a rise to 185 or so. If you want the temp higher...just ride it out seems to be the consensus.
Have a great 4th and congrads on your Vet status!

Generally, my butts hang at about 185 for a second plateau. When they start moving again, they will hit 200 within an hour to an hour and a half.

I loved the link Jane, thanks!
Started looking around and it seems my guess of 185 was on the low side....190 and up is the more popular choice.
Don't forget to post some pics of the finished product!

Wish I was among the living with a digital camera. Don't have one yet, but if there's a way to link up regular pix from the scanner, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back