Hammy tasting pulled pork

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone have any ideas why a fresh, picnic pork shoulder would have a very distinctive ham taste to it? In my previous thread, " First time Minion method", I said that the pulled pork had a salty taste. Today, several of us tried it and agreed that not only does it have a salty taste, it taste like ham! I have never had this happen, before, and don't believe it has anything to do with the cooking method. Maybe it was an 'enhanced' (pumped full of salt water) shoulder? The label didn't indicate that it was. This is the first time I've had this happen. Any ideas?

Hi, Jim. All I did was give it a light slathering of yellow mustard, the same as I always do. It came out nice & tender, with good color. (Links to pictures are in the previous thread.) It just taste like ham. It was cooked the day after purchase and was not frozen. I'm stumped!

I was under the impression, from reading, and my experience, taht the pork picnic is more hammish than the shuolder. I have madea couple picnics and a couple shoulders, and i find the picnic has a slight ham flavor. Maybe its just the cut of meat?

jason

Jason, It is not the meat itself that gives ham a "hammy" taste, it is the cure that is injected in it that gives ham a "hammy" taste. A fresh and uncured ham (the back leg of the hog) will not have the same taste as what you buy in the store.

To me, the pre-injected/tumbled cuts of pork, whether these cuts be ribs, loin, tenderloin, butts and picnics all taste "hammy." The brine used for this tumbling process, IMHO, tastes very similar to the cure that is injected on hams.

I cooked a couple of picnics that came out with a salty taste. Even the interior meat that had no bark had a very salty taste. After noticing the meat had a very salty taste, I dug through the trash to check the wrappers the meat came in. Sure enough, the wrappers stated the meat contained up to 12% solution.

Ever since then, I have abhorred tumbled and injected meats. I don't want to pay for salt water and I don't like someone to predetermine what my meat is going to taste like.

So now it is D Beerman's turn to ask for advice. My ex bought a couple racks of spare ribs that she got on sale for 99 cents per pound. Sure enough, they have been injected. Does anyone have a salt free rub recipe that I can use on these ribs?

Beers to all,

JDB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jason molinari:
[qb]I was under the impression, from reading, and my experience, taht the pork picnic is more hammish than the shuolder.
jason[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jason, the picnic is actually part of the pork shoulder, as is the butt.

Steve

Hi Paul,

Do a reverse brine and soak the ribs in several changes of cold fresh water to pull out some of that injected solution. That’s what I do to pre-injected corned beef flats whenever I make pastrami. The salt and other glop in the solution will try to reach a state of equilibrium with the fresh water over time through osmosis and the meat will taste a lot less “processed.”

The ribs will never taste as good as untreated ones, but this may help salvage some of their original flavor.

For a rub, mix up a batch of your favorite but omit the salt altogether. Maybe a little Mrs. Dash would help mask the taste of ham, as well. If the finished ribs need a little salt, you can sprinkle it on when you serve them.

BTW - Does your ex’s buying habits have anything to do with her marital status?

Beers right back at you!

Ken

Ken, Thanks for the advice on the reverse osmosis. I will try that. I will also look up a rub recipe and omit the salt.

There are a lot of reasons why she is the ex. At least we are on friendly enough terms that I am allowed on her computer. LOL

So you gonna be judging at the Royal?

Beers to you,

JDB

Juggy,

I wouldn't think of missing the Royal! It's the one exception to my 'Never again at a big contest" rule just for the variety of hardware people cook on. Just got the confirmation for judging both sessions on Saturday.

Don't know our travel plans yet but I do plan on looking you up and finally meeting you in person on Friday or Saturday.

See you then.

Ken

Juggy
I would think that any rub that you like less the salt may work, would you please try that and report back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

Answer found! Stopped by WinCo on the way home to check labels of their pork. Just as Juggy said, up to 12% 'enhancement' solution (salt water) added! Yuck! This is Hormel brand. I also noticed that they have a money back satisfaction guarantee and provide an 800 number to claim it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

BTW, why is it that almost everyone complains about pre-injected pork and poultry, yet, so many advocate injecting or brining? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Solution added is simply a salt solution and limits what you can do. Injection in most cases aren't salt soltions and brine are designed to introduce the flavors you want, not the case when the producer adds it, but it is ironic.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Humphrey:
[qb]BTW, why is it that almost everyone complains about pre-injected pork and poultry, yet, so many advocate injecting or brining?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're paying good money for the salt water solution in pre-injected meat. And you've lost control of the flavor of the meat. I want the meat to taste the way I want it to taste.

Steve

I have a turkey in the freezer that says "Up to 12% turkey broth and seasonings added deep inside consisting of: natural turkey broth, salt, sodium phosphate, natural flavorings." I also have a boneless pork sirloin that says "Tenderness and juciness improved with up to twelve percent of a patented solution of water, potassium lactate, sodium phosphates, salt, sodium diacetate." I only use brine for a curing agent before cold smoking (below 90?F), hot smoking (90?F to 180?F) or drying, never for added flavor when barbecuing (180?F to 250?F). I really can't imagine injecting or brining a turkey or pork roast that's already been injected with up to 12% 'enhancement' solution and it's getting difficult to find products that has not already had this treatment. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I must confess, the first time I heard someone complain about this I thought to myself it was much ado about nothing. Now I don't. I don't mind meat producers offering these "solution enhanced" products, as long as I have the choice to buy non enhanced products. Now I don't see any alternatives in the grocery stores. What about people that are on low sodium diets? We need 20/20 or 60 minutes to make a big fuss over this, because I really don't think most people know this is going on.

my .02

Yep, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to brine pre-brined meat.

Luckily, where I live the "enhanced" meats are the exception, not the rule.

Steve

Doug, I agree with you that someone needs to bring this to the attention of the public but question whether or not they would react enough to get anything changed. (See below.)

Steve, enjoy it while you can because it won't last long. When I went back to the store, every Hormel product I looked at had been 'enhanced'.

Some of the labeling is very discrete and you have to look close to find it. On the Hormel label, the disclosure is in very small print, directly under the much larger letters that proclaim the product as being 'Fresh Pork'. I've done a small amount of research and found that it's Hormel's 'Always Tender?' process. A very interesting article on Moore & Warner says, "An early success under Mr. Johnson was a pork chop designed for parents who are distracted while cooking. Called the Always Tender pork chop, it is injected with a patented solution of salt, sugar and vinegar that keeps the meat moist even if it?s kept in the frying pan for too long. Introduced five years ago in select markets, the Always Tender line is selling at a rate of hundreds of millions of dollars? worth a year, Hormel says." This article goes on to say that one of their goals is to produce & market pre-cooked meats that only require a few minutes in the microwave. The targeted meats are the ones that normally require long cooking times, the same ones we need for our smokers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I will be buying many Hormel products from now on.

Over the past few days I have checked out a few stores to find out if they have a salt
solution added to their pork products. At the "big box" grocery store all of their pork products
(back/side ribs, butt, picnic, leg) all had a salt solution added to them. The label read:
"pork, water, sodium phosphate and salt". Asked the clerk behind the counter and she told
me that their supplier sells it to them that way. This was not a labeled product,
such as Hormel.
The smaller grocery store and the local butcher did not have salt solution added to their
pork products. Although a little more money per pound, its probably less dollars per pound
of real meat. (For those of you interested, the cost of ribs here is about U.S.$4.50/pound - ya
really gotta like 'em at that price)

Ray - you mentioned above that you used brine to before you cold smoked meat. Is the salt
enough to prevent spoiling or do you also add something like Prague Powder #1?
I am interested in smoking some Ukranian Kolbassa but most recepies call for 3 to 5
hours of cold smoking. Never done that before but I'm not keen on adding nitrates
to my food. Thanks.

John,
It really depends on what you are cold smoking and whether or not it will be refrigerated, after curing, drying and/or smoking. Most fish, cheese, & some dried meats do not require a preservative, beyond salt or sugar. Others do and should not be done by anyone who is not thoroughly knowledgeable with the process or those that do not have the proper equipment to maintain the proper environment. Personally, I haven't been involved in preserving meat by curing for many years and would need a major refresher course before attempting it, again. I would suggest you do a lot of research and, if possible, work with someone that has done it before, first. The Internet has a lot of resources and there are many fine books on the subject. This Meat Smoking and Curing FAQ will provide a few answers but I would suggest you not attempt it until you feel very confident. There are also some very good sites for sausage making & smoking. Sausage making can be fun, easy and safer than curing and cold smoking meats for preservation - it's usually hot smoked and kept under refrigeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back