Hamburger recipes

Patrick Rusk

TVWBB Member
I've had some great Q the last 6 weeks, but now I'm ready to grill some hamburgers. However, my WSM experiences have raised my standards, so I'm not content to just throw on some pre-formed Costco hamburger patties anymore.

Can I ask people for their favorite hamburger recipes or tips? I've seen the Burger of the Gods on here, but not much else.

Thanks.

Rusk,

I saute some chopped onion and add it to my burger mix, along with about 2 tablespoons of catsup and a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce. I then make the patties and let them sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before grilling.

You can experiment and add whatever you want to the mixture. In the past I have even put in chopped dill pickle, and on other occassions a few dashes of hot sauce. Don't be afraid to try different things but go easy as you do not want to overdo the burgers with unusual tastes.

BTW, my son-in-law in Atlanta has an unusual way of flavoring burgers. He buys the ground meat and makes up patties and just before throwing them on the grill, he dips them in a mixture of molasses and soy sauce. Very different taste.

Just trying to give you a few ideas. Let us know what you ended up with.

Ray

Now that I have gotten addicted to smoke, hamburgers are no exception to me. I fire up the gasser with some smoke and sprinkle some montreal steak seasoning. The spicy for me, regular for everyone else. I leave them indirect for 20 or so minutes and finish over direct.

I think the meat has the most to do with being good. I get a side of beef every year and the hamburger is outstanding. I remember about 5 years ago we ran out of hamburger about a month before our next was due. I didn't realize we were out. One night coming in the door from work my wife says that we are having chili. I am thinking alright. I took one bite and asked if we were out of hamburger from our side of beef. She said yes then added you can't tell a difference. I am here to tell you that the difference to me was the difference between steak and my spare tire on my truck.
icon_razz.gif
I have been buying a side of beef for the past 15 years so we haven't bought much ground beef over the years. I don't know what or where to get good beef. I just know it makes a difference.

I know several people who like to use that lipton cup of soup french onion mix. They add a pack of it to the hamburger and mix it up. I haven't tried that yet but it does sound good.

Patrick,

I gotta tell you, I'm a purist when it comes to hamburgers. Nothing added to the meat except seasoning the patties with salt and pepper. In a burger you want to savor the meat, finely prepared, with just enough seasoning to accentuate the natural flavors. Of course, as Jeff wrote, good meat is the key. Never, ever, ever use extra lean ground beef in a hamburger (anything over 85/15) or you'll have to drown it with some type of icky sauce to slide it down your thoat.

A 6 or 7 once patty (uncooked) is a nice size - that's about 3 patties from 1.25lb of hamburger. Build a 3-zone fire in your grill and make sure the coals are HOT! Maybe put a couple of chunks of smoking wood on the fire before starting. Oak is nice. Then put the patties, presentation side down, on the hottest part of the fire until browned. You will definitely need to use the lid on your kettle to avoid flare-ups. Flip - once - and move to the cool side of the grill to finish on indirect heat.

Toast some buns while the meat rests, add a red onion slice, a few dill pickles and mustard. Ahhh. (OK, so I also put mayo on mine. But just a little, on the bottom bun, just to keep the juices from sogging the bun down...honest.
icon_wink.gif
)

Having struggled for some time about how to add the magic of pork BBQ, I finally have an answer.

2-3 parts good ground beef
1 part chopped pork BBQ
form into patties
rub
grill
enjoy!

Found this a few years back and tried it once, they were good just a pain to make but provides a different burger. They also have a tendancy to fall apart when trying to turn so be careful. Adjust as necessary:

Gut Buster Hambergers (12-14 burgers)
I don't measure, just a bit of this
and a pinch of that and lots of that.
The amounts listed are approx.

4 lb Lean hamburger (the sausage will have additional fat)
1 lb Italian sausage (1/5-1/4 of the hamburger amount by weight)
4 Egges (min 2, and more the better)
2 cup Oat meal (Quaker, old fashioned).
1 cup Flour, This & oat meal are binders that also soak up flavor
1/2 cup Honey
4 tblsp Tabasco Sauce
1 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Mustard
1/4 cup Soy Sauce, dark or heavy (look through the neck of the bottle
while swishing and it should leave a heavy coating)
1 cup Wine or Vinager
1 lg Onion, chopped
1 bunch Parsley (Chinese)
Precook the sausage (only partially, it must be VERY
moist and not overcooked). Keep all of the drippings,
it's part of the taste. Skin them if they are in
casing. I like to microwave them a few minutes, my mom
likes to place them into boiling water for a few
minutes (she saves the broth for soup).
Chop up the onion and parsley. How fine is to your
liking. We like larger pieces of red onions in our
burgers.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together everything and
leave overnite in the frig. You can make them into
patties at this time, but I like to let it sit as a
mass and make the patties just before BBQ time. The
patties should be LARGE, 3/4-1 inch thick and larger
than the bun's diameter.
BBQ should be very hot. The patties must be turned
often and should not be to well done. JUICY is the
key. Press the patties with your spatula and the patty
should have some give, if firm, then it's too well
done. Turning them often allows the juices to stay
inside (juices move away from heat, so by turning you
keep it inside instead of allowing it to flow out of
the top).
The rest of the garnish is up to you. Mustard,
ketchup, pickles, lettce, onions, relish, toasted buns,
etc. Salt & pepper at this stage, NOT in mixture or
cooking stage.
These freeze well (uncooked, wrapped in foil) and can
be BBQ'd right after removal from the freezer. We like
to take these on outings to the beach/park/camping/etc
and they become part of the "ice" packing in the
cooler.

My wife and I absolutley love this one. It's from Gordon Ramsay (Hell's Kitchen). We cut down on the garlic though. First time we made it it was way too much

1 lb. Ground sirloin
1 onion, minced
1 tbs. Ketchup
1 tbs. sun dried tomatoes, cut thinly
½ c. chopped garlic
½ tsp. Worchestershire sauce
½ tsp. Tabasco
½ tsp. Honeymustard

Cook to till done.

This is a hamburger that I do pretty often on the kettle. Prepare your patties with a mix of ground
chuck and ground round, or ground tri-tip. grill direct over hot coals topped with some soaked wood
chips, usually mesquite for me. Place a slice of onion on top of the burger. When you flip the burger bring the onion back to the top side of the burger. Cover the onion and burger with your favorite BBQ sauce about 2 minutes before they are done. Serve the burgers on the buns that you have just toasted on your grill. The kettle lid
is on for this cook.

Back