Ham to die for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-WA

Just wanted to post one of the easiest, most tatsy meats to cook. Ham is one of my favorites. This one will make you a hero.
Buy a "ready to cook" bone-in whole ham. Yeah, they are a little large but it won't last. Besides ham keeps a long time refrigerated. You can always invite friends, if you feel you must.

Soak it in plain water overnight to remove the excess salt. Fire up the WSM to BBQ temp (225-275). Put on the ham with no rub, but slice into the fat down to the meat about 1" squares. Put the ham on the top rack. Add cherry wood for smoke, wild cherry if available. You can use pineapple juice in the water pan if you like. Cook to an internal temp of 160. It will melt in your mouth and you will eat too much.
Jim and I sell lots of these for holidays.
Jack
Smokin in the rain

Jack,

You should try the Mustard & Whiskey Glaze under the "Let's Cook" section of this website. It is unbelieveable what it does to a ham.
-----------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Jack,
Sounds great!! I would like a little more info
if possible. Could you give us a rough idea of
weight vs. time to temp(160) at the aforementioned
dome temp of 225-275. It would help determine
if I wanted to do it for an afternoon meal or not.
Thanks a lot.
Pat Barnes

Famous Dave has a great recipe for this in his book.
As for the Pineapple juice or any juice for that matter I'm with Jim if you want the flavor on the meat put it there not in the water pan /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

A 16 pound ham usually takes about 8-10 hours. As far as juice in the water pan goes, it gives a very subtle flavor. It just adds another layer of flavor without taking over.
As far as glazes and sauces go, I'm starting to be more of a purest. I am backing off on glazes, sauces and exotic rubs when I cook at home. Sometimes salt and/or pepper is all I use, so I can taste the meat. I like the flavor of meat. If I glaze or sauce it I might just as well put it in an oven and add smoke from a bottle.
However, in competition we still use complex rubs and glazes.
Jack
Smokin in the rain

Okay, I've decided to smoke a ham based upon this post, but I have a few questions. I've shopped around all I've been able to find are "Cook's Well Trimmed Ready to Cook Hams" in either butt or shank portions. They are either "ham and water product" or "water added." Chris's Ham Selection section says that "water added" is the better choice. My question then is which portion is better, butt or shank. The shanks seem to have a better covering of fat and also a large section of rind. If shank is the better choice, do I cut off the rind and just score the fat or do I not worry about it and score through the rind into the fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back