ham over turkey or turkey over ham?

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm using the apple brine and the whiskey/mustard recipe for a 15 lb fresh turkey and 14 lb "ready to cook" ham respectively. The ham should take between 2 hours and 20 minutes and 3 hours and 30 minutes at 325 degrees while I'm thinking the turkey should come in around 3 hours at the same temp. I guess I should probably add 15 minutes to half an hour to these estimates since the cooker will be full.

The ham is partially cooked (ready to cook) so I'm thinking the ham goes in first on top and then the bird goes in forty five minutes later on the bottom. The ham is going to be dripping on the turkey. Should I have concerns about that from a health or taste perspective?

An alternative is to fire up the weber kettle and go indirect for the ham, which I think will be more forgiving than the turkey.

suggestions, thoughts?

tia,
jd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Should I have concerns about that from a health or taste perspective? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Health-wise, no. Taste-wise, probably not.

I might yet do the ham or the turkey on the kettle (likely the turkey were it me) simply because I most often prefer to cook large meats separately.

I went ham over turkey. Ended up as a five hour cook with everything coming off at 3:30pm. My guru is acting funny...the pit probe disagrees with my therm and it stopped blowing though it was 75 degrees under pit point. So the temp was all over the place, from 350 to 250.

anyhow, I smushed a lot of butter, thyme and rosemary under the skin and ended up with the moistest, best tasting turkey yet. The ham was a huge hit...I substituted brandy for jack and it was great.

Back