Ham on the smoker?

Heath j

Anyone plan on heating/cooking their Christmas ham in the smoker this year? I hear it's a great way to heat up the ham while adding some extra smokey flavor.

I'm smoking a fresh ham on my wsm as we speak. Been on for an hour. having a hard time getting the temp up though. Rainy and a little wind here but we'll get through it.

I usually do a spiral sliced ham in the smoker to go with the fried turkey. I put foil around it halfway through to keep the slices from drying out .

Done in a little over 5 hours. I may never smoke another butt again. I put the meat on before the smoker got up to temp and consequently over a hour went by and the temp was still below 200 so I took the door off and let the whole ring get lit. I was using the Minion Method. Any way, I let the temp climb to about 310 over the next 10 minutes and then replaced the door and brought everything back down to 240. I let the internal temp get to 167 over the next 4 hours and then pulled it and have it resting under foil. Sample piece is done, smoky and moist. Merry Christmas to me I guess.

Just as a follow up. We had some of the ham sliced for dinner Friday night and again for lunch yesterday. The larger half will go to grandmas house tomorrow. The ham turned out perfect. I strongly encourage anyone who has never done a fresh ham on the WSM to do so. A lot less work than a butt for sure. Cooks faster and taste great.

My ham - spiral sliced was a success. Tasted great. That extra kick of smoke added to the already cooked smoked ham was good. Maybe I should have reserved a slice or two before heating to compare.

The glazing process was fun to do with the torch. Next time I think I'll go even farther with that, building it up more.

I like to do a ham over the top of a turkey, so the Xmas turkey went on the bottom rack and the ham goes on the top rack.

They cook in about the same sort of time, the turkey takes a little longer, which was why I put the turkey under the ham the first time I cooked this way. The family likes the flavor that is produced, so we all win!

Back