Guru adapter fit

Andrew Taylor

TVWBB Member
Quick question about the guru adapter for the WSM: when mounting through the vent, is the adapter supposed to fit tight against both the wheel and the inside of the bowl? I tried several times, but couldn't get it to be tight on both sides.

Is this a common problem, is it a problem? What have you all done about this?

Andrew, I believe you purchased a CyberQ Wifi; apparently, you're not the first person experiencing a problem with the installation of the adapter, as evidenced by this post on SmokingMeatForums.com.

If I understood the commenter correctly, he wound up mounting the adapter on one of the two TOP vent holes, rather than on one of the two BOTTOM vent holes.

Don't know if you tried it both ways or not. Hope this helps you out....

Regards,

Rooster

Thanks Rooster! I did try both top and bottom vents, and the top seems like a better fit. The problem that I'm having is that, on the inside, the deflector doesn't fit tight against the bowl where it seems that it should. I'm not sure that this is a big deal, since the air will still get into the smoker. I'm just wondering if the percentage of air that will leak upward will be an issue.

I'd suggest then, Andrew, contacting Guru tech support (if you've not done so already) and soliciting their advice - could be you've got a misshaped deflector - a stripped tightening screw - or it's something else entirely different. But based on MY experience installing a DigiQ DX adapter on my 22.5 WSM, something's definitely amiss...Hope you can get the issue resolved.

Regards,

Rooster

Actually, Andrew, if you're not able to find a suitable resolution, perhaps there's some sort of heat-resistant putty - or other material - available on the market that would permit your sealing up the space between the inside wall and the deflector, in order to impede airflow loss; it seems to me that any such loss would probably adversely affect your ability to maintain consistent temps.

Just an idle thought....perhaps TOO idle :confused:....

Regards,

Rooster

Rooster, thanks again for your advice. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to try it before, but I was able to simply bend the top of the deflector that wasn't making contact with the bowl back a bit. It works perfectly now. I feel pretty stupid that that wasn't my first inclination when I first saw the problem. I guess I just thought that the thing looks pretty robust and that I wouldn't be able to bend it. Wrong I was. I did it with no tools, just my hands.

What a dummy I am.

What a dummy I am.

Andrew, don't sell yerself short - I've found that, many times, the simplest resolution to a problem is the hardest one to recognize - anyway, I'm glad to hear you've solved your problem....

Regards,

Rooster

I just installed my DigiQ today and had the same problem, but remembered a video I saw on You Tube. In it, the user said to seal the inside with heat sensitive tape also so that all the air comes from the bottom of the adapter. Worked for me.

Same issue here, not liking the way this goes together at all, the wsm adapter is really a poor fit and sort of cheap. If they can't come up with a better fit this is going back.

Back