Guava-Baby Back and Spares Pictures

Nice pictures, Rick! Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who documents the whole process!

Those look like some very meaty ribs! I'm glad that they turned out great!

Hi Russ... I love my Smokette. It is easy to use and produces great food. Like any tool, you have to know how to use it, and understand its weaknesses. It is very good at long cooks since it is virtually hand-off. It is a very moist cooking environment, so briskets, butts, ribs come out great. It is not as good at things like chicken where you want a crispy skin or jerky, where a dry product is important. You can use it for these foods, but you have to understand what you are getting. I made some jerky last night, and I just open the door periodically to let out the moisture.

As far as differences between the Smokette and the WSM, the most obvious is portability. I bought my WSM for cookoffs and to drag along when traveling. With the Minion method, the WSM is almost hands-free for along cook, but not quite set-it-and-forget-it for overnight cooks. The WSM is more flexible in that you can cook at higher temps (the Smokette maxes out at 250) for things like chicken, and you can grill on it if you want to.

One "drawback" to the smokette is the lack of a smoke ring in the food. There is a long explanation of why on the CookShack site. It is possible to put a couple of charcoal briquettes into the wood box and get a smoke ring if desired, but I haven't noticed any different in the taste of the food either way. There is a difference between ribs in the CS and ribs on the WSM, but I think its more due to the charcoal than it is due to the smoke ring itself. Also, since the Smokette is a moist environment, it is a little harder to get a heavy bark. I have gotten good bark on butts and briskets, but not as heavy as I have seen from a WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Lewen:
moist cooking environment, so briskets, butts, ribs come out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does the moist environment change the end result other than the loss of bark. I mean does the meat tend to come out more moist when cooked in the CookShack as opposed to the WSM?

Rick, I'm going to try your recipe on some baby backs, if you got one...hint hint. Do you slather mustard to get bark and if you do when do you put rub on?

Aloha!

that meat shop is going to bust if the butcher keeps giving away so much loin meat on the ribs
icon_smile.gif

Hey there Doug, those rib racks are back on sale for $7.99.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Appears to be the Williams-Sonoma rack recently closed-out for the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Williams-Sonoma Rib Rack

Back