Growing Chilies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
I seem to recall that some of you grow your own chilies, and I need some advice from you. In the past I've tried growing jalape?os and serranos in pots on my balcony. Both the plants and the chilies were beautiful, but the chilies were bland. How can I produce hot peppers? I've just planted some habanero seeds. This time I've placed several matches in the soil as I read somewhere that the phosphorus in the heads will make for a hotter chili. Any truth to this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to have some fiery hot chiles to use in my sauces, rubs and pastes.

Regards,

Mr S.

Good Morning,
I have grown habs but qiut because of the narrow range of usage for them. They are mostly good for citrus fruit based sauces and marinades such as Jamacian jerked chicken
Etc. They do make a good sauce with fresh peaches,rice vinegar,tomatoes,onions and carrots. Now I jsut grow Cayenne peppers.
Being from Louisiana,I am partial to them.
I grow them in pots also. I just get plants from the local nursary and pot them with real good potting medium. I usually don't fertilize until the peppers show up. Then
I put a little bit of slow release plant food.Be careful that you don't use something with a lot of nitrogen. You get a lot of bush but not a lot of peppers. I let them ripen on the bush then dry them and grind them up. Haven't had any problem with heat
lately but once in a while you get a plant the has beento close to another pepper variety and they sort of cross-pollinate
and you get a cayenne that doesn't have the heat. It's a pot shoot. Good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tips, Pat. I have some generous friends in my wife's village who let me pick all of the cayenne peppers I want, and I must say they are extremely hot when eaten fresh. I'm going to use some of them tonight when I whip up some Kung Pao chicken. I'll let you know how those habaneros turn out.

Cheers,

Mr S.

Glad you have access to Cayennes. I love them and prefer them to most other peppers.
Probably biased from being from Louisiana. I
think the difference in the way the heat works with cayennes vs. serranos/jalapenos is what makes them so handy for cooking. Your taste buds aren't instantly paralyzed with cayennes but you get a good "backburn"
in your throat.

Jalapeno's come in many different varieties, just like tomatoes. Even the ones in the market, are getting milder due to different strains. Go to one of the on line seed catalogs and you will see what I mean. Now if you like hot chiles and hot peppers in general, all your questions can be answered on the Chile Heads mailing list.

Right now things are not as busy as it had been, but these folks are surely the masters of hot. Here is a link that will assist you in signing on, if your not already on this list.
Here is the URL
web page
They have quite a few overseas members on the list, they would be very happy to hear from you, and many on the list can give you specific information in which you are trying to obtain. Let me know if you have any trouble subscribing and I will try help you out

I took a bunch of hot chili's I grew last year out of the freezer and dryed them this week. They where very hot. Would like to make my own seasoning with them. Anybody have any good recipes?

Brian
You could dry or smoke and grind to fine powder, use them in place of chili powder in the recipes you do now or fine chili powder recipes and use them there.
Adjust the amount of the chili pepper you use to the heat that will work for you.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back