ground pork question

Robert Owen

I'm going to be smoking a meatloaf this weekend and want to make my own ground pork. My question is, what cut do you use for ground pork? I know pork butt can be used, but I get my pork butt from sam's club and don't want to buy 15lbs of it just to make some meatloaf. especially since i'm not planning on doing pulled pork anytime soon. Is there another cut I can use?

Not really. Not unless you are going to buy fatback as well. Skip Sam's and buy a single butt--or just a portion of a butt, depending on what you need--at whatever your local grocery store is.

I agree with Kevin on this. Matter of fact, the store might be able to grind the stuff up for you. I did some Chinese porkballs earlier this year. Had the meat cutters coarse grind a 4 lb pork butt that was nice & lean. It was probably about 12-15% fat. Simmerred 'em in a Chinese broth for a couple hours and man was that some good eating. I put some pork bones into the pot and lots of the gelatin came out. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

My Sam's has had "country ribs" lately. They are boneless, and just strips cut from a butt. Last pork I ground came from these. Also, Wally World always has smaller boneless butts that are great grinders.

Buy it from sam's club, use one and send me the rest
icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes.

Back