Grinders / Stuffers combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
This site is something rare. Good people and great ideas how to spend moola!
I am very excited about making my own homemade sausage that I can smoke in my bullet. Plus just making breakfast sausage will be neat-O.

Now is the time I have to tell my in laws what I want for Xmas and the price is set at $100 or even better, less. That is my price limit not theirs. I dont want them to spend much on me, you know what I mean. I dont need a fancy expensive grinder/stuffer. Manual will do for me. Sounds like fun spining that handle around anyhow. I just dont know a decent one from junk. Anyone know of a decent G/S combo at low prices please let me know.
That would be a great help.
DP

Do you have a big ol' kitchenaid stand mixer? They make a groovy grinder/stuffer set (tho it might cost slightly more than $100).

That's the one I got, but I haven't done sausage 1 so far.
icon_frown.gif

Some folks don't like it tho cuz maybe it gets warm while you're doing it, and sausage likes it to be cool.

I guess this wasn't helpful...but I was excited about the topic.

Dale, I have this grinder #32.Meat Grinder Bought it from cabela's about 12 years ago. It works really well. You can take the handle off and put on a pulley and a belt with a small electric motor if you are going to be grinding a lot of meat. Also comes with the stuffing tube. The problem with using the stuffing tube on the grinder is that the meat gets ground twice then. For stuffing sausage i have an Enterprise 8 qt. sausage stuffer/ fruit press/ lard press.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

Nope, dont have a stand mixer. Wife doesnt care to cook, bake, sew, or anything that has work involved. Ok, she's a trophy wife. She thinks im knuts just wanting to make homemade anything when all you have to do is buy it. So if anyone knows of a G/S combo "inexpensive" that works let me here it.
She has seen some of my failures and other bad attemps before so I gotta show her it is possible.
#1 failure was first time dill pickles. Worse than Aunt B's.
Thanks again,
DP

Worse than 'kerosene cucumbers'?!?!
icon_eek.gif

Saw part of a Good Eats the other night, AB used a hand crank grinder. Said the motorized ones get warm. "Heat, the enemy of sausage making". I think he just made 'bulk' sausage, but I fell asleep so I don't know if he stuffed any or not.

Bryan S. -- Lard press? I'm picturing casings filled with pure lard.

And of course now I'm thinking of deep frying the lard dogs...

OK folks, I think that my search has been taken care of. My thanks to all who responded on this matter and once I make some sausage (12-26-04) I will let you know how and if it turns out good.

DP

Dale...you gotta tell us what you found out. Im in the market for a grinder stuffer and it looks like Cabela's is the best price. I have a grinder that was my grandmothers, she used it forever, but its missing the blade and the tubes and those two items cost almost as much as a brand new rig.

Dale,
I'm also always trying to homemake everything (even made tofu once), including the dill pickles.
I tried my hand at Andouille sausage, didn't have a grinder, and didn't want to spend much money.
I used a plastic funnel with the tip cut back so the opening was sausage sized. Total price: 90p ($1.70) . Worked great.

morgan

Jim, I just went to the Cabela's Xmas book and there they were. I also found one last night at wallyworld that cost $40. It is double tinned cast iron that came with 2 stuffer tubes.
I told her to suprise me.
DP

I was going to order one from Cabela's today. Somehow I doubt that WalMart in Connecticut would stock a grinder. I just hate paying for shipping.

Just received Cabela's last minute shopping book. They have an electric 220 watt grinder on sale for $69.99 a $30 markdown! Item #ye 51-6666

Just received the stuffer I ordered from Cabela's. Its a Porkert brand and comes with three tubes. Looks great and is nice and heavy. Cant wait to use it. Have some sheep casings and #1 & #2 cure due to arrive any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back