Grilling with firewood - effects to grill over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan W

Hey guys - wondering if anyone here can attest to the effects over time of burning a firewood, such as oak, in their kettles? By "using a firewood" I mean as the primary fuel, i.e. as opposed to charcoal, not soaked and added to the coal pile for flavoring...and by "effects" I mean damage to the grill, e.g., warping, wearing away of the metal.

I've burned oak chunks in my 26" kettle several times, and haven't observed any ill effects, but would like to start using it more regularly as my fuel source - just don't want to jack my grill up as a result. Holler if you have thoughts on the matter, thanks!

i don't think there'd be any damage.

i've grilled with firewood while camping.

charcoal burns considerably hotter than wood, so no need to worry about warping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
i would burn it down to coals first </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that what lump is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Roller:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
i would burn it down to coals first </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that what lump is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.
Lump is made from burning wood in an oxygen starved environment. The result is pretty much pure carbon which burns hotter than the original wood would have due to the lack of water and other substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back