Grilling with charwood?

Bob LeFever

TVWBB Member
Do any of you grill with charwood? If so, I would appreciate any hints using this product. My main concern is the seemingly constant sparking.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume you are referring to natural lump. Have only used royal oak and only experience some sparking when pouring from the chimney. I hear cowboy brand sparks bad

Yes, natural lump. I use the Publix Greenwise brand, but so far, only for smoking. Also use a Weber chimney to start it. Just curious to see if it's used (and how it's used) for grilling.

All I use is Royal Oak Lump or if I treat myself I get Wicked Good Lump. Sparks a bit in the chimney and when you pour it but that's about it.

Use it the same as you would briquettes. Just keep in mind that with the same amount of oxygen it burns hotter.

Bob Sample, Home Hardware and RONA both carry Maple Leaf lump. I bet it likely isn't a whole lot more than what you are paying for RO, but a far superior product. Another good one is Basques Natures Own, from Quebec. It is available here

To answer the original question, all I use is lump

I use lump for all of my cooks but I found Charwood to spark a ton. I typically use Royal Oak lump now.

Dave K., why do you think Maple Leaf is superior to Royal Oak lump? With my minimal experience with Maple Leaf, I was disappointed with all of the small pieces in the bag. Huge pieces on top of the bag but tons were little crumbs. I have only bought 2 8kg bags before, typical or my bad luck?

4kg/8kg
Royal Oak 7.99/14.99
Maple Leaf 9.99/18.99.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
Bob Sample, Home Hardware and RONA both carry Maple Leaf lump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I've tried it, I found it burns a lot faster than RO but it's good. I've also only found it in small bags at our Home Hardware.

I've mainly done my comparisons on Canada Day when I do 300lbs of potatoes, and 650lbs of smoked pork chops for the local Lions Club. I've found that the RO burns quicker, and not as hot, and that I end up using more bags of Charcoal than when I use the other two brands.

Bob, in the HH warehouse they have the larger bags in stock, so your store should be able to order the bigger ones if you wanted them.

Bob,

Yes, the amount of sparking from lump varies a lot by brand. I use Royal Oak, and like the others here, only see it spark when dumping a chimney, not while I'm cooking. Cowboy is bad for sparking, and Kingsford lump is like a 4th of July extravaganza.

I've heard that mesquite wood causes more of the sparking, but I don't really know.

Back