grilling tips

Miles Long

I loved the wsm so much i bought a OTG.
I seem to be doing something wrong as my steaks suffer from flareups and get burnt to crisp.
I light a full chiminy - then stack them on one side and let them burn grey-

if i put the lid on with the vent open the coals seem to nearly go out...if i have lid off the coals get to hot and burn everything...

Do I need to open the bottom to control temp with top on or just cook with top off and spread the coals all across bottom of kettle-
maybe im using to much fuel...any thoughts

Try using a split level fire. Half of the grill will have the very hot fire. Don't worry about it being too hot. Other half will a low or no fire - single layer of coals. Very hot = you can only hold your hand over the grate (4 -5 inches) on for 1 - 2 seconds. Low = hold your hand over the grate 5 - 6 seconds or longer.

DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE MEAT ON THE FIRE!

The low or no fire side allows you to pull the steak away from flare-ups. If you are there every second of the cook with tongs ready, you can check the steaks every 15 seconds or so to see how they are progressing. If both sides get a nice brown crust but you think they need more time, they will cook nicely over the low/no fire side of the grill.

If you haven't done so, check out Cook's Illustrated book, Grilling and Barbeque.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do I need to open the bottom to control temp with top on or just cook with top off and spread the coals all across bottom of kettle-
maybe im using to much fuel...any thoughts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should start with both the top and bottom vent open. The bottom vent is the vent that you can close up a bit to help regulate heat. For me, I always leave the top vent 100% open.

Your amount of fuel seems about right. I usually start with one full chimney of K (some new, some leftover from a previous cook.) Two stage fire always, as Eric suggests.

I also just bought a OTG. Here's what I do for steak perfection
icon_wink.gif
. I light a full chimney with lump charcoal. When the top-most pieces are starting to turn grey and I can see flames at the top, I dump the coals on one side of the grill. Keep all the vents open and put the lid on. Let this sit for 5 mins. Then I cook my steaks for 3 mins a side with the lid on. No flareups. The coals do not go out. No burning and they're a perfect medium rare. (this is for 1 1/2" thick ribeyes)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Aarseth:
Try using a split level fire. Half of the grill will have the very hot fire. Don't worry about it being too hot. Other half will a low or no fire - single layer of coals. Very hot = you can only hold your hand over the grate (4 -5 inches) on for 1 - 2 seconds. Low = hold your hand over the grate 5 - 6 seconds or longer.

The low or no fire side allows you to pull the steak away from flare-ups. If you are there every second of the cook with tongs ready, you can check the steaks every 15 seconds or so to see how they are progressing. If both sides get a nice brown crust but you think they need more time, they will cook nicely over the low/no fire side of the grill.

If you haven't done so, check out Cook's Illustrated book, Grilling and Barbeque. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great advice........I always create a safe zone as well. When I'm cooking chicken thighs, there's always that stage where the skin starts creating flare-ups. Having a safe or cool zone to go to can save your meat from getting charred. If you move the meat to this zone and close the lid for a few seconds with the vents closed the flare-up will die quickly and you cna resume grilling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never walk away or put the lid on when searing, after I move the over to the indirect side I lid it up (wife like steaks medium well). Works every time. Anyway for me the patio is much like the garage. Outdoor cooking is a zen like experience. Just sit out there and drink beer (or your beverage of choice) while the food is cooking. I don't use a timer anymore. When they ask, "when is going to be done?" I tell them, "in about 3 beers." This year I getting a hammock.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

after I move the over to the indirect side I lid it up (wife like steaks medium well).
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes I like to add mesquite smoke. I'll set up one side with all the coals and separate from the other half with fire bricks (learned the trick somewhere on this site). I'll sear the steaks, then move over to the side without coals, drop some mesquite wood in the coal side then lid up with the smoke vents over the meat (pulls the smoke over the meat before it goes out). Great results especially with thick steaks.

Back