Grilling Potatoes BB ribs

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Grilled up some potato wedges last night. Turned out great!

This is the second time I've used Yukon Gold potatoes and they will be my go to potato for grilling from now on. I never had good luck with Russet potatoes when grilling (same thing with Red Potatoes). I think this has to do with the different/higher starch content. I know a lot of folks recommend par boiling them first prior to grilling but you can accomplish the exact same thing in a lot less time by simply nuking them in the microwave for 2-4 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.

I kept it simple with the ones last night. Just coated them with EVOO and sprinkled some kosher salt on them and that was it.

I smoked the ribs in the kettle using the Smokenator and they turned out great as well. They weren't quite done after 3 1/2 hours and foiling them for about 45 minutes, and by this time the charcoal had burned out so I put them over the middle burner of the Genesis (indirect heat) after the potatoes were done, sauced them and 10 minutes later dinner was ready.

Now I need to find a new source for Klamath River Barbecue Company Gold Rush Apricot Barbecue Sauce. I bought a bottle of this when one of the grocery stores here was going out of business and had I known how good this stuff was I would have bought 10 bottles!

Whole Russets and Reds will certainly take much longer than Yukons...
You could slice in half then cast iron Skillet them cut side down with a wee bit of OO or the like...
check out this thread... http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?25949-Iron-Skillet-Baked-Potato&highlight=skillet

also, spiking your Russets or Reds will decrease the baking time... worth a shot if you've never tried it before.

on the other hand, if you're putting the Russets on the same time as the ribs, the taters SHOULD be cooked thoroughly OR your ribs are most certainly under cooked.

Last edited:
I agree with your thoughts on Yukon Golds. I grill a lot of potatoes and they are definitely my "go to" variety. I like to cut them in thick or thin slices and use my Weber grill pan. A little oil an plenty of salt and pepper is all I use. Flip them when then release.

Back