Grilling in High Wind

ScottM

TVWBB Member
I fired up my new genesis this afternoon to grill some burgers and potatoes. I was letting the potatoes bake for a while on the lowest heat setting and when I went back outside I noticed the temp around 200. I was a bit concerned but then I noticed at least some of the burners went out. They re-lit with no issues but it was a bit concerning that the flame was able to be blown out. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Sorry, I know this is probably a stupid question but I had to replace the manifold so I'm a bit paranoid that I screwed something up (I followed the instructions exactly and everything seems to function perfectly otherwise).

Thanks,
Scott

I was going to BBQ a chicken yesterday but because of the 800 mile an hour winds, I decided to use the oven indoors. Besides, I would have to turn the controls up to compensate for the heat loss, therefore using more fuel.

In answer to your question, I'm quite sure that if the wind catches at the right direction, it could very well blow out a burner at the lowest setting (hence using a higher control setting). Just be sure to let the gas evaporate for 5 minutes or so before relighting or run the risk of a nuclear explosion.

If you have really high winds and still want to use the Genesis, just roll it around to the other side of the house
for shelter from the winds. They roll easy enough. Ditto on the relighting, let the propane clear completely away
for 5 0r 10 minutes. I learned the hard way with one of the original Weber gas kettles hat still had lava rocks.

Back