grilling chicken on a gas grill

James D. Parker

I have a multi fueled grill that will grill around 200 or so chicken 1/4's at a time. I have a guy telling me that when he uses the grill, he cranks up the heat to draw out the blood at the very end of the cooking cycle. I see it burning the chicken more than anything else. I tell him that when I cook with it or any grill and I want the meat cooked through to the bone on a thick piece of meat, I cook it low and slow. A steak usually stays on searing heat to get the outside good and seared and the inside stays pink and moist. So I guess I dont understand how he figures he needs to crank up the heat to draw out the blood. Has anyone else experienced this type of thinking. I see it as a waist of gas and a way of charring the chicken.

My "signature" dish is grilled chicken pieces. I cook them indirect and then a short (minute or so) finish over direct high heat.

Chicken properly prepared can be the KING OF MEATS (that ought to set someone's teeth on edge) but that's the way I feel. Just love those birds!

Dale53

Back