GrillGrates vs Griddle

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
Tonight I got my first chance to try out the Grillgrates I acquired. I grilled up a lot of vegetables with some chicken sausage and we mixed it up with some tri-color pasta. I chopped up too many veggies to grill in one batch and decided to do a comparison cook between the Grillgrates and my Blue Rhino Razor griddle. Pictures are below. They were both easy to cook on. I lost some veggies to the grill gods with the Grillgrates (need one more panel). Neither stuck. My wife and I came to similar conclusions which are not unexpected. We liked the taste because of the charring on the Grillgrates ones better but the griddle ones had better texture, were more moist and less dried out. I usually do veggies in a grilling tray and basket or silicone grill sheets but think that the Grillgrates are a suitable alternative. I finished grilling just in time as we got hit by heavy thunderstorms a few minutes later. I can see the majority of my use case for these being flat side up as I am not into grill lines. May also come in handy when spinning chickens. I like crispy skin and usually have the burner under the chicken on for direct heat but do get manageable flair ups. I could see trying 1 or 2 sections under the chicken to allow heat but vaporize the drippings before it gets down to the flavorizers and burners.

20220717_172448.jpg20220717_172457.jpg20220717_172502.jpg20220717_173449.jpg20220717_173619.jpg20220717_175059.jpg

As is usually the case, there is more than one way to do something. Do you see yourself keeping the GGs, or do you prefer using silicone mats or the other alternatives? Joe, I know you are a minimalist...which would be the one to have on a desert island if you could only have one, the grill with the GGs or the flat top?

Also, I appreciate how much effort it takes to do these reviews and document them as well. Heartfelt thanks, Joe, very well done!

I've got GGs. Veggies are much better on the GG's grill side up than with the original Genesis grates. I've said before, the GG's even heat dispersion makes it much easier for me to time before flipping the veggies over and remove them when done just right.

What I haven't tried yet is grilling veggies on the GG's griddle side. Next time.

And the GG spatula makes it a cinch to lift the veggies (or most anything else off the grill side.

Last edited:
I have GGs too, and always always always appreciate honesty. Good or bad ratings. I think GGs don't get a fair shake here at TVWBB in that the Great Grill Grate Shootout doesn't even mention them, not even in passing, even though the author owns a set and seems to enjoy them, and that they are never ever compared head to head against the current reigning champ, the 9mm SS grates. I look at them as an addition to my grilling arsenal, not as a replacement, but when it comes down to essentials, something that can do more than one thing and do it well will win out every time, IMO. Let's be fair here. Grill marks aside, can you griddle with 9mm grates, yea or nay?

Last edited:
As is usually the case, there is more than one way to do something. Do you see yourself keeping the GGs, or do you prefer using silicone mats or the other alternatives? Joe, I know you are a minimalist...which would be the one to have on a desert island if you could only have one, the grill with the GGs or the flat top?
It is funny. I finally bought the griddle after trying a bunch of "griddle on the grill" options. I did not like performance of them without removing the flavorizer bars. The exception was the Q as the dedicated griddle goes right over the flame. Having to take apart the grill was greasy and messy. The other BIG plus to me was the drip cup on the Rhino. I like to cook bacon outside and collect the fat to use in cooking eggs and other stuff. Can't do that on most griddles that sit on a grill. I did try the "little griddle" that has a grease tray but did not like it for reasons above and I kept knocking food into the grease trough. I know that Grillgrates makes a solid flat metal griddle but no way to collect the grease.

My son gave me a set of Kona grill mats that I was very reluctant to use as putting a "plasticish" or silicone mat on something with fire just did not sit well with me, as all of our cookware is SS, high carbon, or cast iron. We dumped all the non stick stuff ages ago. I did finally find a great use case for them though, doing veggies and grilled eggplant parm. We still got the char but veggies were nice and moist. Unfortunately I was right about the mats. After only maybe 8 cooks they are showing signs of ware and flaking (see pics). They have a 7 year warranty and have contacted the company to see what happens.

I would not have bought new Grill grates to try them, as a use case for me personally was hard to think of. The fact that I basically made money getting them made it very worthwhile to play with. I like grilling and have almost no problems with flame ups. I usually zone cook on the kettle and have the IR burner on the Napoleon for really nice hot zones. I load up the full grill on Napoleon making chicken wings and still have no problem getting fantastic wings with maybe a tiny amount of char (which I like and the reason I cook on a grill). Grill marks don't really matter to me. I like an all over crust on my steaks which I already get from either the IR burner or direct charcoal cooking. I will be trying my next steaks on the GG to see if they maybe come out more tender as the grass-fed steaks I buy are usually on the tough side.

The real benefit will possibly be replacing my grill baskets and mats for veggies. As you noticed I tend to cook a lot a one time as we like leftovers. I may go to a lower heat setting for the GGs than I use on the mats as I think they conduct better.

But in answer to your question I am hopefully picking up another grill for cheap with more GG so I have a complete set + some to play with on the kettle and maybe the Go-Anywhere. That way after a while if I find I don't get enough use, I can unload them having satisfied my itch and not have wasted quite a bit of money. I have no problem spending money on stuff I can justify but these I could not as I was quite happy with my current grilling. The grill with or without GGs over the griddle for the desert Island. The griddle is my least used "grill" at this point.

20220718_090543 (Large).jpg20220718_090557 (Large).jpg20220718_090604 (Large).jpg

My son gave me a set of Kona grill mats that I was very reluctant to use as putting a "plasticish" or silicone mat on something with fire just did not sit well with me, as all of our cookware is SS, high carbon, or cast iron. We dumped all the non stick stuff ages ago. I did finally find a great use case for them though, doing veggies and grilled eggplant parm. We still got the char but veggies were nice and moist. Unfortunately I was right about the mats. After only maybe 8 cooks they are showing signs of ware and flaking (see pics). They have a 7 year warranty and have contacted the company to see what happens.

Doing a quick Internet search for grill mat health and toxicity issues, I would say run away.

Silicone mats have their uses...I use mine on the countertop for making dough and it works great for that. I can fold it up and put it away without it creasing and it doesn't slide around on the countertop, although I do tape it down so that sticky dough doesn't tend to lift it up while kneading. It has circles of varying sizes printed on it for shaping crusts that are handy, too. For myself, lazy as I am, I wouldn't use a mat on a grill because it's just one more thing to clean up at the end of a grilling session. I have a small one that is just a little too large to fit in our toaster oven and I've read where you can cut them to fit but there are opposing views that say if you cut them you risk contamination from fiberglass fibers along the cut edge. That chunk that is missing in the picture is a cause for concern for sure...let's hope the manufacturer supports their product under warranty.

I'll be interested in hearing how the GGs work on your coal burner...I've used a couple of panels on mine and came to the conclusion that I like them better on the gasser.

It is funny. I finally bought the griddle after trying a bunch of "griddle on the grill" options. I did not like performance of them without removing the flavorizer bars. The exception was the Q as the dedicated griddle goes right over the flame. Having to take apart the grill was greasy and messy. The other BIG plus to me was the drip cup on the Rhino. I like to cook bacon outside and collect the fat to use in cooking eggs and other stuff. Can't do that on most griddles that sit on a grill. I did try the "little griddle" that has a grease tray but did not like it for reasons above and I kept knocking food into the grease trough. I know that Grillgrates makes a solid flat metal griddle but no way to collect the grease.
I can only imagine what your son (the ER doc) has to say about bacon grease! :eek:

I’d agree that the use case for GGs over charcoal is fairly weak. Seems that their use for sca cooks is mostly about the grid lines.

Strongest use case (which was mine) is for a gasser that could use some more heat even-ing, flame suppression, searing (via the flat side conduction), IR capability and cooking capacity.

Did wonders for my small old basic silver B. Many other grills have features that handle those things in other ways and lessen the utility of the GGs.

Bonus for me was getting a decent griddle function for shrimp veggies smash burgers etc.

Now let’s talk some politics and religion.

Silicone mats have their uses...I use mine on the countertop for making dough and it works great for that. I can fold it up and put it away without it creasing and it doesn't slide around on the countertop, although I do tape it down so that sticky dough doesn't tend to lift it up while kneading. It has circles of varying sizes printed on it for shaping crusts that are handy, too. For myself, lazy as I am, I wouldn't use a mat on a grill because it's just one more thing to clean up at the end of a grilling session. I have a small one that is just a little too large to fit in our toaster oven and I've read where you can cut them to fit but there are opposing views that say if you cut them you risk contamination from fiberglass fibers along the cut edge. That chunk that is missing in the picture is a cause for concern for sure...let's hope the manufacturer supports their product under warranty.

I'll be interested in hearing how the GGs work on your coal burner...I've used a couple of panels on mine and came to the conclusion that I like them better on the gasser.
I bought that dough mat after seeing I presume your post about it. I really like it. I just contacted Kona folks and they should be sending me a new set. BTW - They are the easiest grilling item I have to clean. A little soap and water and done. Way better than cleaning grates.
I can only imagine what your son (the ER doc) has to say about bacon grease! :eek:
His fiancé is a dietician and they eat mostly vegetarian at home. As long as I have some ethically raised bacon he does eat it, but I mostly make chicken when they come.

I bought that dough mat after seeing I presume your post about it. I really like it. I just contacted Kona folks and they should be sending me a new set. BTW - They are the easiest grilling item I have to clean. A little soap and water and done. Way better than cleaning grates.
I'll have to try it, then...I've got the small one I think I might have used for cookies one time. Anything is better than cleaning grates!

I’d agree that the use case for GGs over charcoal is fairly weak.

They act as a heat diffuser for even heat distribution, something often missing in a charcoal cook.

Now I'm tempted again to empty my wallet for a 3rd set of GGs, for my Performer. I need to hit the slot machines in Vegas!

They act as a heat diffuser for even heat distribution, something often missing in a charcoal cook.

Now I'm tempted again to empty my wallet for a 3rd set of GGs, for my Performer. I need to hit the slot machines in Vegas!
I've only used a couple of panels from the gasser on our kettle one time, but I did modify some panels to fit our Go-Anywhere and we've used that. I wanted something I could pack up in the CGA along with the OEM grate and small chimney and all of the other necessities. I bought a GG for the Ninja Foodi during one of their clearance sales, to be fitted to the CGA...the grates are about half as tall as a standard grate and there are no slots...seems ideal for the CGA, but I haven't modified them to fit yet, waiting for cooler weather.

1658260498717.png

Attachments

• 20220412_174720.jpg
    20220412_174720.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220412_174600.jpg
    20220412_174600.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220406_161748.jpg
    20220406_161748.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
But if you haven't already, you might take advantage of their clearance or factory-seconds sales when they have them. I bought the Foodi GG for $18 (+tax and shipping, of course) as a second.

Back