Grill Wok

Sounds good. As the temp rises it means I will be doing more cooking outside and these look like some really good recipes to try. Thanks for the info.

Mark

BTW, yesterday on the Fine Living Channel, the show Inside Scoop rated this grill wok (square with holes) one of the top BBQ tools to own for making your life easier! The one on the show was stainless, mine is something else.

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Mark
The wok is a great addition for the kettle or for a sideburner on a gasser. There are many good recipes available you are only restricted by your imagination.
Here are a couple that you may want to try.

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
A special thanks to my mate Steve from Tasmania for this recipe.
This dish is cooked in a Wok on the side burner of your Gas BBQ or using the Weber Kettle Wok with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!

1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
300 ml fresh cream
1 shallot (chopped)
1 chicken stock cube
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute).
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.

Honey & Soy Mushrooms
20 to 30 small button mushrooms (stalks removed)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
1 small chilli finely sliced
Mix the honey, soy sauce and oyster sauce together. Heat oil in wok on BBQ side burner or using the Weber Kettle Wok, add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes moving continually. Add honey and soy mixture and continue to cook the mushrooms ensuring that the mushrooms are well coated. When the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce has thickened, place the mushrooms in a serving dish and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and chilli slices.

Easy Garlic Seafood
1 Kg fresh green prawns peeled with the tails on (you can substitute the prawns with any other type of fresh raw seafood without skin that will absorb the flavours)
1 Bottle of dry white wine or sparkling wine
1 cups of thickened cream
4 cloves of garlic minced (or to taste)
1 chicken stock cube
salt to taste
cornflour slurry for thickening
Let the sseafood stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the wine in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the seafood and bring back to the boil and simmer for 3 –4 minutes, gently turning the seafood to ensure all is cooked. The seafood should be opaque to slightly white in the centre. Do not overcook.
Remove and drain the seafood cover with foil and set aside. Bring the wine back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and garlic and simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the sea again and heat through (about 1-minute), add the cornflour slurry and thicken to a thick consistency.
Serve on top of a steak as surf and turf, or serve with a crusty bread.

Regards
Man...it's been a LONG time since a recipe sounded so good I wanted to get up right then and go to the store, but these did it!

16118a_large.jpg

this is what is typically referred to as the weber charcoal wok, though there are smaller woks that sit ontop of the cooking grate.

Cheers!

I bought the weber wok at home depot for $22, but im looking for an actual wok to fit in my kettle 22". Whats a good size carbon steel wok?

Just got my wok at Home Depot for $22. This is what I did, which was excellent:

Jambalaya/Gumbo Combo

Ingredients:

2lbs medium shrimp
5 Brat Sausage (or whatever you like)
3 Corn cobs (cut in thirds)
6 Mini yellow potatoes (walnut-sized)
3 Boxes of Zatarain Jambalaya mix (rice is included)
Zatarain Creole seasoning
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Salt

Mixed the shrimp with Creole seasoning, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil and let marinate for 30 minutes.

Grilled the corn, potatoes, and sausage over high direct heat just for a few minutes, and the same with shrimp (but using a vegetable basket so as not to fall thru).

Fired up the wok over high heat, add all the grilled items above along with the 3 boxes of Jambalaya mix and water.

Let the soupy mixture simmer in the wok covered for about 25-30 minutes or until desired thickness/soupiness. Serves about 6-10.

You wrote:

anyone ever heard of a 18 1/2 inch weber wok??

Adrian

Weber makes a solid stainless steel wok for both sizes of the kettle grill. It is pictured in an earlier post.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan Moore:
You wrote:

anyone ever heard of a 18 1/2 inch weber wok??

Adrian

Weber makes a solid stainless steel wok for both sizes of the kettle grill. It is pictured in an earlier post.

Dan

Doh!! guess you didn't read my first post. I know there is an 18 1/2 incher cuz I have one!! BUT when you search for woks now the 18 1/2 incher is no where to be found.

Adrian

phil, thanks for posting your recipe over and over. i am being sincere since i just did it! i first saw it when searching for wok recipes. i did a stir fry months ago and wanted to try something else. it was great and none too rich. the only mod i made was to use angel hair pasta instead of rice.

thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Mark
The wok is a great addition for the kettle or for a sideburner on a gasser. There are many good recipes available you are only restricted by your imagination.
Here are a couple that you may want to try.

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
A special thanks to my mate Steve from Tasmania for this recipe.
This dish is cooked in a Wok on the side burner of your Gas BBQ or using the Weber Kettle Wok with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!

1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
300 ml fresh cream
1 shallot (chopped)
1 chicken stock cube
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute).
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.
Regards

phil, thanks for posting your recipe over and over. i am being sincere since i just did it! i first saw it when searching for wok recipes. i did a stir fry months ago and wanted to try something else. it was great and none too rich. the only mod i made was to use angel hair pasta instead of rice.

thanks for sharing!

Sorry I thought that I had only ever posted this recipe once. Never mind, I am glad you enjoyed it. It is one of those dishes that you do on special occasions when you want to pull out all stops and impress the heck out of everyone. I have used a few serving variations for it. The recipe remains the same just the serving differs. I get some small bread rolls and cut the tops of them and remove the inner bread., then I roast the roll and lid until it is firm and crisp, I then put the rolls into ramekins and fill with the scallop mixture, put the lid on and serve. I also do the same with a large round cob loaf except crisp up the bread that I removed and serve that on the side. The cob loaf acts as a communal dipping bowl.

I also cook curries in the wok for a change.

Let me know if you come up with any good ideas for the wok.
I am still thinking about putting together a wok recipe book to help other users get the best out of it.

Regards

phil, i don't seem to express well online. i am glad you posted this in numerous places. i remember reading the recipe and then when i decided to do it had to look it up again. now i bookmarked it. and i think you should keep mentioning this recipe, it is great! my s.o. kept raving about it.

Adrian
You wrote:
Doh!! guess you didn't read my first post. I know there is an 18 1/2 incher cuz I have one!! BUT when you search for woks now the 18 1/2 incher is no where to be found.

Sorry about my clueless comment and late reply. I obviously didn't read your entire post. I wonder if Weber is just going to sunset the 18.5" grill. They have discontinued the green and blue colors and I haven't seen any gold models at either Home Depot stores in the area.

I'm trying to do something fun with my Wok. I might just go ahead and give it a whirl one way or another but I thought I'd ask here what people thought about this idea. Could...the Weber Wok be turned into a double boiler? If I put charcoal seperators in the kettle and a container of water in the middle...and brought it to a boil, then placed the Weber Wok over top...could I essentially create a boiler such that I would be able to melt chocolate? I thought it would be a fun thing to do chocolate fondue outside on the grill with fresh fruit. The kids would love it. Am I completely out of my gourd here? LOL

Why not just put water in the wok and a ss bowl into the water.........I don't know.....something about kids, boiling water, and hot charcoal makes me nervous......
icon_confused.gif

Back