Grill Ideas for Mounting to the Hitch of a Jeep

That's really nice looking. I take it you built that? The bike racks Im familiar with are much simpler than that, pretty much an L-shaped tube that plugs into the hitch, then it has a simple T-shape on top of it that has straps that hold the bike. Yours look very heavy duty and much nicer. If I were to go that route I think I'd get the hitch rack, the one I was looking at look very similar although it doesn't have that vertical bar on the back of the rack close to the car, and it sure doesn't have lights on it like that. That is definitely unique as well. I take it Holland requires lights on a rack like that?

Thank You! I built a wooden platform and attached it on a bicycle rack That i just happened to have in my garage. Our hitches are a little different from the ones You have, so the racks are also different. Lights are required and even more important the licence plate. I think als long als the car's lights are visible it should be ok. But i just don't want to give them a reason to let me pull over...

Before I forget, the rectangular headlight on a jeep look just right to my eyes. I have to wonder why the need for a hitch mounted grille
for a Jeep. The Jeep was made to go almost anywhere. So was the Smokey Joe. The idea of the heat from a hitch mounted grill so close
to the paint, or tailgate mounted spare worries me. Is the Smokey Joe somehow less than what is really needed?

Yeah Bob, when ever I tailgate I am usually grilling a whole heck of a lot of hamburgers and hotdogs. There are about 50 guys that associate with the fraternity, and you throw in about 20 alumni guys and every other girl/parent/whoever grazing by and getting a dog or two and I need a space that is pretty darn big. I would have a line of people as long as Legion Field in Birmingham cooking on a Smokey Joe!

Ha, but I don't think the heat would be an issue. If it was I'd extend it out a bit more. Also though about maybe trying to mount it using the spare tire lug nuts and just taking off the tire. Like, replacing the spare with the bolt on grill. Wouldn't be anywhere near as easy to hook up, but it would swing out away from the Jeep and you wouldn't ever have to worry about damaging a tire from heat. There are three lug nuts holding that tire on and I highly doubt the grill would weigh much more than the tire and steel wheel combo that's on there now. Just a thought though, because I really don't like going anywhere without a spare. Especially when it's on a vehicle that uses 35" tires that aren't in stock at most tire places.

Back