Grill Ideas for Mounting to the Hitch of a Jeep

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys, I have seen the Freedom Grill FG-50 a lot on the internet, but sadly they went out of business and most of the small businesses that build hitch mount grills custom charge something like $1000 or so (so an arm and a leg). I was hoping that some of you guys had a resource for something like I'm talking about or knew of someone that was selling something similar, or possibly plans for one that is easy to make. I know Chargriller use to make an attachment, but I can't find one anywhere used or new. I've cruised forums, Craigslist, everywhere to no avail for anything.

I think it would be so cool to have a grill mounted on the back of my Jeep, and possibly one that swings out like the Freedom Grill does. Grilling anywhere I go would be amazing. I don't know if I'd ever take the thing off my Jeep!

Stumps makes one that hooks into the towing hitch. I'm not talking a pull behind, But a metal bar that comes up and hold up a grill. I believe it is called the tail gater.. Check out Stumpssmokers.com

Last edited:
Get a Broil King Keg, and mounting kit. Together you'd still be out of less than $1k, and have a HECK of a grill! Arguably the best high heat, portable charcoal grill ever made. Can also do 20 hr smokes with ease.

The original release was called the Bubba Keg, then it became the Big Steel Keg, then Broil King bought them out and put their name on it. Good grills.

That Party King grills one is the closest thing that I can see being in my price range honestly. The Charbroil one that they use to make was probably the best deal I have ever found and I would give anything to be able to find one of those kits used. The mounting kit was $50 and you can find used charbroils all day long for $50 on Craigslist. I can spend $100 easily on a grille, but even the party King at $674 before shipping is pushing it beyond what I have really. College budget right now sucks! Maybe one day though, although I likely won't have my old Jeep at that point.

And Tim, that Margaritaville one is out of production and the only one's I can find are around $600 that are NOS pieces. Kinda sucks when the grille cost $199 originally and even went on sale at Lowe's for $169 before they stopped making it. If I would've needed one around that time I would've snatched up the thing instantly.

And Ted, I may have to end up going that route. I can't weld, so the other idea I had of finding a bicycle rack and converting it into a grille mount is almost out of the question which sucks since you can find them all day long on Craigslist for $40 or so.

The only thing that may be my saving grace is finding someone that can weld close to me, a long with my Jeep being so damn tall. It has 7 1/2" of lift, so the hitch sets waist high, so I may be able to buy a hauling rack like FatEddy posted and just mount a grille onto it and it be high enough for cooking on. May even be able to get a fryer or something else mounted on there too.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction now that I said I'm more on the lower end of the price scale. Should've said that in my original post. Anywho, heres a picture of the Jeep to kinda give you an idea of the height. I don't have a good back shot of it on my phone at all, but this kinda gives an idea since the tires are 36" tall.

JeepFrontSideShot.jpg

I use a hitch mounted rack..........usually about $70-120......one that sticks out the back and is basically a flat steel grid.

I've mounted a Performer to it as well as my WSM22.......works great, transported my grills to camping, parties, etc.

Do you have any pictures of it on your vehicle? And were the grilles permanently mounted or did you just attach them for that outing? I am hoping to build something that is permanently mounted to the rack and looks like it would be something you could buy. A lot of people hang out with us and I would love to have it looking all spiffy hanging off the back. Although I guess I can't be choosey in the design if I build the thing since I can't weld.

Your first problem is you got square headlights on that Jeep.
Assuming that you are tall, the hitch on that lifted YJ is way to high for a non custom set up. ( I had a TJ w/ 10" of lift) That is going to put a hitch mounted grill up pretty high to cook on. Also that 35x12.5 on the back door is going to push out your grill by at least 12-14 inches depending on what type of tire carrier you are running. My suggestion for your budget would be to get a $50 hitch rack $15 cargo net and put that on the YJ and take your existing charcoal grill w/ you. its not ideal but the hitch rack keeps the coals, grease and smell out of the jeep. Thats how I move my WSM between locations.

Or look at a removable winch plate, they should slide into the hitch and have a long enough neck to clear your spare and you can easily mount a grill to it. If you are going propane I"d imagine you would just need to hook up the tank and put it on the ground. Or you can have a welder add on a hitch to the front bumper giving you another recovery point and a grill mount, plus access to the tailgate.
something like this

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307349_200307349

Woah Bob!!!!!!!!! If I remember right the first vehicle Jeep ever named the Wrangler had SQUARE headlights, so maybe I have the correct shape headlights!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

And I think you might have hit on something with that winch mounting plate! All I really want is a cheap Char-Broil grill on the back, one of those simple drum types that would run off charcoal. A gas grille would be great, but that could be built later. I have until the summer really to get this thing rolling, so I have time to mull it over, although I have done a TON of Google searching for plans and ideas and haven't really come up with too many people trying to make a home setup with a grille on the back of a car. Most are commercial built by a welding shop or a retail version that has went out of production and is CRAZY priced since they are so rare to find new in the box or in good used shape.

And Clint that would be easy! But I really want the uniqueness of rolling up with the thing hanging off the back. And a lot of times in the woods trying to set up a table on muddy areas and rocky terrain would be tough. We get into some pretty rough stuff when we go camping and the grill being pretty high up is probably best so it doesn't affect the departure angle in the rear. Although I'm not sure the rear of referred to as departure angle, maybe only the front? LOL, y'all know what I mean, suck to get hung up on the grill hanging low.

One other though, they make grills that attach to the lifelines of boats, they have many types of brackets and attachment options. Never having used one they look like they are just good for a burger or dog not any type of real grilling. The grill on the back shouldn't make your departure angle too much worse but getting it muddy in a deep hole would be of concern. If your tire carrier is solid perhaps getting a female hitch bracket fabbed up for the center cap of the spare to hold the grill while wheeling then move it to the real hitch when you cook. It will also keep your rear recovery point available should you get stuck.

Well I found a bike rack cheap on Craigslist, and I also found a park-style grill that is mounted on a round 2 3/8" pole, so maybe it the bike racks tubing is big enough I could get one of those to go on there. Grill is one of those models that the great just raises up and down in slots. Kind of like what you see on public beach areas.

Wouldn't be swing out but I think it would work. IDK, I am gonna keep researching and see what happens.

That's really nice looking. I take it you built that? The bike racks Im familiar with are much simpler than that, pretty much an L-shaped tube that plugs into the hitch, then it has a simple T-shape on top of it that has straps that hold the bike. Yours look very heavy duty and much nicer. If I were to go that route I think I'd get the hitch rack, the one I was looking at look very similar although it doesn't have that vertical bar on the back of the rack close to the car, and it sure doesn't have lights on it like that. That is definitely unique as well. I take it Holland requires lights on a rack like that?

Yeah that would be the easiest thing to do Russell, I am just so hung up on making a hanging one out of the hitch receiver. I just think that would be cool beyond belief.

Back