Grill gadget cleaner

I have a good friend that got one of those bristles hung in her throat, so it is
a real hazard. After hearing what she went through, I threw all mine away.

I have a billy bar and it works great for the round stainless bars but I also have a Genesis with the cast iron grates. Does the grill gadget work well with the flat bar surface of the cast iron grates?

I have a billy bar and it works great for the round stainless bars but I also have a Genesis with the cast iron grates. Does the grill gadget work well with the flat bar surface of the cast iron grates?

The owner says it does. I can't say from personal experience though because both of my grills are round stainless steel rod.

I use those $1 grill brushes from WalMart. When they become caked with grease and whatnots I just put them in a small plastic tub with hot water and Dawn. I clean them in the morning. If there is any grease caked up between the rows I push a wooden skewer through them to remove it. Then I re-soak for a few hours in new water and Dawn. A couple of hours later the brushes look brand new. If you're concerned about bristles just rub the grates down with balled up newspaper before using.

I was pretty happy with the "grill gadget" grate cleaner. But I'm a tinkerer always looking for something better. So I was curious about two other non brush type cleaners. I ordered both.

I was very disappointed in the Billy bar. It probably works in some instances but it didn't work well on either of my gas grill grates. I sent it back.

But the other one is a revelation. The Chargon. The link is below. This thing works absolutely perfect on the round stainless grates of my genesis 1000 (rcplaner) and the thinner round stainless grates of my genesis A. It even works well on the smoky joe I occasionally use. It actually cleans better than any brush I've ever used in addition to having the obvious advantages of not wearing out and no danger of bristles in your food.

I've been using it for about 3 months and I can't imagine anything better. I don't think it would work well on ceramic coated cast iron though. The shape just isn't right. But I'm fairly certain it will work well on any round grate.

I like mine enough I'm going to order a second for a backup just in the unlikely event i break mine or it gets stolen.

Just fyi in case anyone is interested.

https://chargon.com

Greg,
You piqued my interest with the Chargon. While I am more than happy with my Tool Wizard Toolwiz grille brush I would like to clean all-around my SS grates.

I have looked at the Billy Bar, Martin Grill Gadget, GrillFloss, as well as several others.

What caught my attention was that you have the same grates as I do, the SS rcplanebuyer 9mm which are fantastic.
Do have have enough room between the bars to get a good cleaning with the Chargon? What exactly makes it better cleaner than the others you have tried?

Jeff

Greg,
You piqued my interest with the Chargon. While I am more than happy with my Tool Wizard Toolwiz grille brush I would like to clean all-around my SS grates.

I have looked at the Billy Bar, Martin Grill Gadget, GrillFloss, as well as several others.

What caught my attention was that you have the same grates as I do, the SS rcplanebuyer 9mm which are fantastic.
Do have have enough room between the bars to get a good cleaning with the Chargon? What exactly makes it better cleaner than the others you have tried?

Jeff

Jeff it's the shape of the cleaning head/surface that makes it better. It fits round grates perfectly. Including the rcplanebuyer grates.

The Billy bar just didn't fit the rcplanebuyer grates well at all. They Are Too thick. The grill gadget worked pretty well but it has a cleaning head with multiple grooves so the head is kind of bulky and you have to pay attention that its lined up correctly. The chargon just works better.

The chargon even does a decent job of cleaning the under side of your grates. Like I said I can't imagine a better cleaner. But it's for round grates only.

Greg,
Thanks for the info.You sold me-

I'm gonna order a CharGon for my next cleaning tool.

Jeff

Back