grill cleaning, the easy way

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
Since my gas unit sees the most use (I grill dinner 3-4 nights a week), it needs the inevitable clean-up from time to time. It does a good job at minimizing build-up since most of it incinerates down in the infrared trough, but still requires regular cleaning.

looking at one grate from the underside

1000000228.JPG

here is the trough

1000000230.JPG

I dump out whatever loose debris is in the trough...no scrubbing though

1000000231.JPG

insert nasty parts here!

1000000233.JPG

press self-clean, wait five hours...

1000000234.JPG

and we're good to go

1000000235.JPG

Originally posted by Jeff Powers:
Great idea....I just hate the smell of the oven on self cleaning mode and all that crap burning off.

It is a nuisance for a few hours, but worth it for the thoroughness and lack of mess. Once it's done I just run them under the faucet and they're spotless. No amount of scrubbing will get them this clean and I hate messing with oven cleaner.

I wish my oven could accomodate my 22.5 WSM grates; there are about half inch to big to fit in. I love your system ;-)

Nice job Chris, Ralph have you tried putting the grates in the oven at a 45 degree angle?

I've had that thought but never tried it.
I have a genisis 1000
Would porcelain and Cast Iron grates be safe to do? And what about the aluminum parts?
I'm all for doing the easy way!

TJ - If I'm not mistaken, (Chris confirm this for me), those grates in the pictures are porcelain covered cast iron. If so, I'd say it is safe to put them into the oven on a clean cycle.

i have porcelain covered cast iron from my vermont castings gasser and this is exactly how i clean mine. done it probably 5 times now and never had a problem. Just wonder how the wsm grates would do in there. would the nickel plating come off???

Tried this tonight with the water pan from one of my 22" WSM's. I won't do that again. Or if I do, I will have to clean it better before I put it in the oven. We went on a bike ride while it was in there and when we got back the house was filled with smoke! I had to open all the windows and get out the fans to get it cleared out. Thank god it was nice out tonight.

Man Points for using the oven and smelling up the house? The pressure washer is your friend.

Caution this is probably Not recommended by the grill maker.

With a gas grill, cover the grates with foil, crank it to high, close the grill and burn the junk off about 30 min.

Again this could void a warranty or cause other problems.... But this worked wonders on an old broilmaster years ago.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Caution this is probably Not recommended by the grill maker.

With a gas grill, cover the grates with foil, crank it to high, close the grill and burn the junk off about 30 min.

Again this could void a warranty or cause other problems.... But this worked wonders on an old broilmaster years ago.
From the Weber FAQs web page regarding gas grills......Maintaining your Flavorizer Bars is simple and easy. Regularly doing the burn-off/brush routine should keep your Flavorizer Bars clean. Start by doing a burn-off (turning all burners on high for 15 minutes with the lid closed) before or after grilling. (If you have raw cast iron grates, remove before burning off.) This will turn the accumulated debris on your Flavorizer Bars into ashes. Then when the grates are cool, lift them out and brush off the bars with a brass brush.

Also found this in my Weber gas grill owner's manual:

CAUTION: Do not clean your Flavorizer® bars or cooking grates in a self-cleaning oven.

Back