Grill Brush - Brass or Stainless Steel

Dominick

When I first started using my Weber Genesis 310 (2008) I called Weber about the best brush to use on the porcelain enabled cast iron grates. The customer service person said use brass as stainless steel can damage the grates. I've used brass ever since. I've been using Libman brushes for years now. The link below on the Weber site mentions uses stainless steel brushes. Just curious what you've found regarding brushes?

Thanks
Dom

Definitely keep using Libman. I made the mistake of buying (can't remember if Weber or Charbroil) brush on sale and actually ended up with bristle in my mouth. I threw the whole meal in the garbage. Those wooden handle ones can lose them easily. Libman ones are fused into the handle. They cannot get loose. I change them out as soon as they begin to wear down. Never had any issue with Libman. And they're made in USA by people who don't hate us :D
As for brass or SS I use brass all the time only because it's easier to find. Also brass being softer is more likely to wear down than break like SS which can be brittle. I would rather leave a little crud behind with the brass

Is this the brush you recommend? I never thought to use one, as heat and plastic usually don't mix. I have collection of the horizontal and vertical spiral grill brushes and a few others I use on rehabs.

That's the one I've been using. I used to get them at Home Depot but now I've only found them online.

Looks like a good choice. But I'd want to saw off the end with the embedded scraper blade. That would make it easier to clean the grate near the back wall (without turning the brush sideways). And I already have lots of metal and plastic scrapers.

[edit] A quick search on Amazon shows that Libman makes some similar brass-bristled brushes without the scraper blade.

Personally I'm very glad I switched to round stainless grates and the chargon tool. I really hate brushes and I haven't used one in several years now.

But if you have porcelain coated cast iron grates you are kind of stuck with a brush of some sort.

Personally I'm very glad I switched to round stainless grates and the chargon tool. I really hate brushes and I haven't used one in several years now.

But if you have porcelain coated cast iron grates you are kind of stuck with a brush of some sort.
That's pretty much true, Greg. I have sometimes used really cheap soft pad grate cleaners, the kind that are flat and have a handle on top kind of like an iron. I have used the Weber ones with the replaceable pads, but the cheaper route is to get ones from the Dollar Store. Use them a few times and toss. They work well on my CharQ and other Q grills where the cast iron is smooth and flat on top. I like that these have no real chance of damaging the cast iron, but they don't get between the grate bars.

Back