Greetings from North NJ

Dex from NJ

TVWBB Fan
Greetings, happy I found this site. I've previously been using (and still use) a Weber Genesis E-330.

I recently got the itch to do some real smoking, found this site and boom my Weber 22.5 arrived today via Home Depot - best thing is I received 10% off since it was my first purchase with a HD credit card (pay it off and close account).

I've learned quite a bit from the site so far but have a ton of questions prior to my first cook. To date I've been able to order (still waiting to arrive)

Pimento Wood and Leaves for Jerk Chicken from Pimentowood.com
Peach, Cherry, Apple and Sugar Maple wood from Fruitawoods.com
new door from The Cajun Bandit
Stubbs Natural Briquettes (Made in USA)
Royal Oaks Lump Wood (not sure whether to use Stubbs or the lump - figured I would play with both)
and a few accessories for the smoker (maverick thermometer, ash shovel, etc..)

Now I just need the weather to break so I can put her together/make something good and some time to try a few recipes and rubs via the site...

Here's to hoping when I actually go to set up I don't realize I have no clue (proper way to set charcoal, wood, etc) of what I'm doing..

Welcome Dex.

I've seen a couple of You Tube videos showing how to set up and cook with the WSM's.

Hoping MY July bonus check is ready tomorrow, as I will leave work and go pick up my 18 WSM.

If check not ready, then smoker waits a week. Of course then I can install
rotisserie I picked up Tuesday on my 22 Kettle and do some birds or a Leg of Lamb.
Of course all that cooking will wait till I get back from the Medford Sam's Club event
on Saturday.
I guess life is prett:wsm:y good.

Thanks guys. Glad some fellow jerseyites are here :) this is definitely addicting..nothing like cooking your own good bbq.

Hope you get your bonus check big bill. I will check out some of the you tube videos.

Welcome to the forums Dex! You're gonna love this place! Whether your WSM is stock as a rock or modded to the max - it's all good! Just have a good time - that's what it's all about!

Thanks guys!

I set her up today and hope to play around with some wings tomorrow so I get the hang of things. My box from fruitawood arrived so I may try the cherry wood and see how that goes.

Do I need to worry about my nice new pavers getting schorched from the bottom of the smoker? I don't have a grill pad yet but do have an oil drip pan. I was trying to avoid using it :)

The smoker-no not for the first few times. I would get something else though.
but the charcoal chimney-yes

If you have a few extra leftovers from the pavers put them together and use that for now until you can get something else. High heat gloves are a must as well. Those you can find in lowes for about 14 dollars.
Enjoy!

Thanks Josie. I do have a few extra pavers. Are you saying in due time the pavers will get damaged from the smoker? I plan on putting chimney on my genesis grill grates.

Hi I'm not sure bc I haven't had my smoker for very long but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Think of it this way it's easier to put something under it and replace it if it happens than to replace the pavers if they get ruined. :)

Back