Green Pork Chili

Somebody on here mentioned adding hominy to the recipe. It would be an interesting addition I'd think. Kinda like a green Pasole.

I have to dig out my collection of Chile Magazine. They had a nice green chili pork recipe not too long ago, that was a big award winner at a national comp.

The hard thing is finding all the exotic chiles. I don't want to make a big road trip all over the place trying to find them. But I would like to try a recipe like that in its authentic state before messing with it.

I can pretty much assure you that 'exotic' chilies aren't in comp chili. Comp cooks often rely on the canned, the pre-made, the over-processed, etc. From the looks of the vast majority of 'award-winning' chilis, anything even slightly exotic is seemingly wholly unknown. Everything is pretty hum-drum, much like the chilis produced.

You're probably right Kevin. But I'm sure our definition of exotic chilies are quite different. The store across the street from me is lucky to have Jalapenos, and Serranos.

I will try to find the recipe, cause now its got me wondering. Perhaps the stuff they are using is easier to find that I first thought.

Forgive my tone. I'd just left the RM Seafood at the Mandalay in Vegas--after much imbibing...

Good chilies are available on line. I like Sweet Freedom. Fresh chilies are often not used in comp chili but I use them, combined with dried of course.

I was the only entrant that didn't have red chili, and the only one that had pork, and the only one with no beans!

Got a lot of compliments, several devoted repeat samplers, and a few funny looks.

Some of my favorite comments:

"I don't know if it's chili or not, but it's the best food here".

"I'd like to strain this, then put it on a bun with some cole slaw"

"What's green pork?"

The chili did not place in either the judging or people's choice categories (no accounting for taste I guess), but I think it was too much of a paradigm shift for most of them...

Yeah, paradigm shift. Chili verde is commonly found at least in California and New Mexico (Az assumed).

Just wanted to post that I made the OP's recipe and it was awesome. I made it for a party last night and multiple people asked for the recipe.

The only thing I did differently, because I had no time for roasting peppers, was sub in 2 jars of La Costena Salsa Verde and 2 cans of roasted chiles. It should be noted that I made a double batch.

I also added some white beans.

Anyway thought I would post this as it was quick and easy.

Pork in Chili Verde - Oaxaca
serves 4 to 6

2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
8 to 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 to 2 1/2 pounds lean pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

2 japaleno chilies, seeded and minced (or to taste)
2 Anaheim chilies, seeded and cut into thin rings
8 to 10 tomatillos, washed well and chopped
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups chicken stock, broth or bouillon

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper to taste
juice and zest of 2 limes

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and lightly sauté the onion, garlic and pork until lightly browned on all sides. Add the next 7 ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the pork is very tender. Remove lid and if there is too much liquid, reduce heat until the sauce is thick. Add the cilantro, lime juice and zest and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with rice and fresh warm tortillas.

I made this and it was delicious. Used smoked pork butt. Next time, I would cook down the tomatillos, then add the smoked meat. It cooked down into strands (which was still tasty). Also, only used one lime. Nice recipe--thanks.

I know this is bumping a very old (but very delicious sounding) recipe with thoughts on adding in cream cheese to this recipe and what others may think on this idea to help "thicken" the sauce. Also, what type of beans would one add to this chili? I know, it's not traditional Texas style, but I like beans and they are a good filler in chili and other foods. I'm making this for a chili contest at work, and for where I live, beans are pretty much expected in Chili.

I know this is bumping a very old (but very delicious sounding) recipe with thoughts on adding in cream cheese to this recipe and what others may think on this idea to help "thicken" the sauce. Also, what type of beans would one add to this chili? I know, it's not traditional Texas style, but I like beans and they are a good filler in chili and other foods. I'm making this for a chili contest at work, and for where I live, beans are pretty much expected in Chili.

Great Northern White Beans would be good (I used in a white bean chicken chili), Cannelli beans would be another good choice (used them in another more traditional chili this week. The cannelli beans were a little softer, but both were from cans.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68961-White-Bean-Chicken-Chili-version-2-0

To thicken it, read about it in the thread I linked & the one it references.... I just used a little whole wheat flour. Cream cheese doesn't sound like something I'd add, but it's something I have little experience with.

To thicken the sauce I use corn starch but Masa harina would prolly be better.
I have some going in the oven today, if you don't want to buy a bag of Masa grind up some corn tortillas ( that's what I'm gonna do )
Tim

Last edited:
A favorite pork chili recipe of mine puts a handful of tortilla chips in with the spices for a trip around the food processor. It thickens the sauce quite nicely. Same idea as adding Masa without the need to buy a bag of something you might not have other use for.

I've always used tomatillos in my Chili Verde along with the poblanos and the jalapenos. Of course pork too. The beer is a nice touch that I'll try next time I make it. And I concur, real chili has no beans.

Back