Great overnight cook experience

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Gang

I have done a couple overnight cooks, but last nite was the best.

It was a mild nite..only about low of 60..and my first cook with the large Brinkerman water pan.

Threw two butts on at 6:30pm...Minion method..temp never went above 230...leveled it at 225. Last checked at midnite, it was 225...looked again at 6am (wireless, in bedroom) and it was 221! Vents only about 10% open..just chugging along.

This thing works so well! It did drop by 8am to 205..but just adjusting the vents open moved it to 230 by 10am..nice and slow.

Still think the internal temp is wild..it was 155 at midnite and 165 at 8am...so it goes from 40 to 155 in 6 hours and 155 to 165 in 8 hrs...even now at 10am it is only 168. In fact it dropped from 165 to 163 at 9am...

Big party today at 3pm...perfect timing I am thinking.

Sounds great Jim. May i ask how big the 2 butts were ? I am planning on doing same tonight and trying to serve at same time (3/4pm) tomorrow

Go Gators

Hal, I started 16 lbs of butts at 8pm Friday night and they took 22 hours to reach 195 degrees cooked at 225-230 overnite and bumped up to 250 the last 4 hours. Start early if you want to eat at 4.

Those 'crazy' internal temps are EXACTLY what you want to see! That, as they say, is where the magic happens. The temp ain't risin' cuz energy is being consumed in breaking down the fat and connective tissues. You will prolly hit another (albeit shorter) plateau at 180.

Man I wish I had a brisket and butt on right now! I picked up two lovely butts to do sometime this week or next. Gotta find me a brisket to go with. You guys are making me HONGRY!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Hal, I started 16 lbs of butts at 8pm Friday night and they took 22 hours to reach 195 degrees cooked at 225-230 overnite and bumped up to 250 the last 4 hours. Start early if you want to eat at 4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will heed that advice dale. would rather be finished a tad early and let stand in foil then to scramble at the end to finish on time.

Ok, final results was AWESOME. Everyone loved the pork.

I ended up pulling it at 2pm (17.5 hrs) at 180F...put in oven at 325F for 1 hr and got 200F. (rendered ALOT more fat...at 180F, in my experience, it is still too greasy).

I wrapped it and put in cooler with towels until I pulled it at the party at 6pm...later than I expected but the pork was still too hot to touch...NO problems!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
Ok, final results was AWESOME. Everyone loved the pork.

I ended up pulling it at 2pm (17.5 hrs) at 180F...put in oven at 325F for 1 hr and got 200F. (rendered ALOT more fat...at 180F, in my experience, it is still too greasy).

I wrapped it and put in cooler with towels until I pulled it at the party at 6pm...later than I expected but the pork was still too hot to touch...NO problems! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what you want Jim, the 190-200 internal degree mark. And there ain't any shame in foiling and into the oven.....it has saved me a few times.

Big Al

Great to see that you had a good cook. I did too. I actually pulled the meat in front of everyone letting them sample as I pulled. I heard talk of folks wanting to give smoking a try after the feast I fed them.

great to hear your cook went well also!

I also found the best method was pulling at the party...I foiled in a cooler for 2.5 hrs without worry of the meat spoiling..it was VERY hot when I pulled them out to pull. Folks thought the pulling was very cool and impressive..especially pulling out the bone like butter (bahta).

Back