Great first outing!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I smoked a pork butt and five racks of baby backs for a party of about 20 yesterday and it was awesome! When I started cutting the ribs into serving size, I had an audience of guys standing around waiting to pick at anything on the cutting board. Once served, they came back for seconds and thirds. A guy from North Carolina said my pulled pork met his standards and a woman from Alabama said she hadn't had better barbecue since leaving home 15 years earlier. If you can impress the southerners in California, well, I think the WSM speaks for itself.

I was a bit panicked wondering if my temperatures were running too hot. I started out with the Minion method, I had a Polder clone and a Smokey Joe thermometer. It never got hotter than 275, but it was really hard to get it down as low as 225. But who cares? It turned out great anyway!

Thanks for this wonderful site. It taught me a lot and I can't wait to do some more Q'in'!

If that was your first cook on your WSM it was quite an undertaking and you had excellent results - congradulations ! This site and forum will be a great benefit to you and add to your enjoyment.

PRG

Wow that is a big undertaking!

What recipe did you use for your pulled pork? I may try one next weekend.

Regards,

Craig

Well, I had made a rub for the pulled pork that I had actually used the week before and so I used that. It was a pretty standard rub... paprika, brown sugar, kosher salt, cracked pepper in about equal portions plus some chipotle pepper, cayenne, mustard, onion and garlic powder, etc. in smaller portions. I doused it in a vinegar mop (some rub, cider vinegar, a little water, sliced onion) a couple of times. I used cider vinegar, white vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes for the barbecue sauce after it was out of the smoker. For the ribs, I used a very basic rub, then squirted them with apple cider and a bit of oil a couple of times after three hours, then some Sweet Baby Ray's (will try and make my own BBQ sauce for the next outing).

It was really a lot of fun to do and everything was just so tender and smokey.

Diana,

You'll find that it's easier to bring up the temps, then to bring them down.

I usually start with the bottom vents open just a crack and let the cooker temps stabilize. If the stabilized temp is too low, open up the vents a bit until you approach your target temps, then back the vents down BEFORE you get to your target. If you wait to close them, you'll overshoot the temp you're looking to achieve.

Glad to hear your maiden voyage went well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back