Great day for a flat (HH)

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
I may be a little crazy, but I'm looking forword to the chilly mornings of fall. It was 54* out this morning as I was preping the wsm, love the crisp air. Soon it will be the dead of winter though, and those 5* mornings are a bit crisper then I enjoy
icon_wink.gif

Today I'll attempt my first high temp brisket, I am excited to say the least. I picked up a nice 5# choice flat from Fareway, ~3.60 per lb. Earlier this week I recieved my first bags of the Texas BBQ brisket rub, so I'll be excited to try that as well. I plan on going %100 hickory for this one. The smoker is ready, now I just have to wait for that proper moment, i.e. beer thirty
icon_wink.gif
to get started.

I've read quite a bit on the subject, so the plan is

- minion with 2x normal lit & leave all vents open
- use more wood then normal, I'll go 2x on this also
- foil, loosely, but not too loosely @ 170*
depending on time
- cook to just shy of tender wrap and rest for 2 hours
or
- cook to tender, tent and let rest for 30-45min before slicing

Of course, photos will be added later....Have a good Sunday everyone, I know I will
icon_biggrin.gif

Brandon

That looks like the exact plan I used on Labor Day. It was excellent. The wife even hinted that she may like brisket better than butt. After yesterday's pork feed, I don't know what to cook today. I'm thinking a couple of NY strips.

A little over 2 hours in and it hit 170* and in the foil it went. I stuck the probe back in and it quickly said 190* (within an hour) I took the probe out and am going to disregard it. I felt for tender at the 3 hour mark and its no where near ready. There is a nice puddle beginning to form in the bottom of the foil though. I will check for tender again in another hour. Hope everythings ok.

Brandon

It should be.

Temps can rise precipitously after foiling. It depends on probe placement relative to moisture activity.

Go by feel alone to determine done.

Originally posted by Brandon A:
I may be a little crazy, but I'm looking forword to the chilly mornings of fall. It was 54* out this morning as I was preping the wsm, love the crisp air.

Today I'll attempt my first high temp brisket, I am excited to say the least.
Hey Bud how's it going? Like you, I can't wait for Fall, also winter myself. Just love being outside when it's cool/cold out. Can't wait to see the pics of the brisket.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I may be a little crazy, but I'm looking forword to the chilly mornings of fall. It was 54* out this morning as I was preping the wsm, love the crisp air.

Today I'll attempt my first high temp brisket, I am excited to say the least.
Hey Bud how's it going? Like you, I can't wait for Fall, also winter myself. Just love being outside when it's cool/cold out. Can't wait to see the pics of the brisket.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 1/2 hours in now, just felt again, she's getting closer
icon_smile.gif
I'm going to say it'll be done soon after 5 hours. Man, it smells fantastic too, I'm anxious to taste that Texas BBQ rub. I hope this turns out well, Cross your fingers
icon_smile.gif

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
I'm anxious to taste that Texas BBQ rub. I hope this turns out well, Cross your fingers
icon_smile.gif

Brandon
The Brisket Blend? Yeah that's good stuff Bud. As you wish, fingers crossed for you, but I know it's not needed.
icon_wink.gif

Just did a 13 lb. packer. Loaded it with Texas BBQ rub also(a lot). Put it on Friday evening at 8 pm. Took it off at 10:00 am(174 degrees). Poured a little Stubbs on top and wrapped in foil, put in oven at 375 for about 1.5 hours. Then let it rest until after the football game at about 3:00 pm had by far the best brisket I have ever had. I think I may have finally gotten an idea of how to do it.

I will say I was impressed for a 5 hour cook. It did turn out moister then some of my low/slow's, but not all. I was hoping for alot of juice in the bottom, but it got sticky like it must have carmalized a bit.

So, either I left it on too long, or got it too hot before foiling....and I'm guessing it was the latter...as I got up to 375* in the first 2 hours) or maybe it was trimmed too close...either way, the rub had a great flavor, and I did get a little bark.

My wife liked it but I would say, theres room for improvement...the smoke ring was minimal even with the large amount of hickory.

I think my next high heat will be a packer, something with a bit more fat to protect the brisket. This baby was lean. One of these days I'll produce one of those briskets with a 1/2 inch smoke rings that you could ring out like a wet towel lol
icon_smile.gif
Until then, I'll have fun tryin..

Brandon

Good deal.

I think you are right. For HH flats I would suggest foiling sooner--especially if the flat is lean, closely trimmed or at all on the thin side.

High(er than 'normal') heat at the outset can be a problem for flats, as you surmise. Evaporative pressure is fairly substantial in that circumstance.

Do try a packer and see what you think.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I think you are right. For HH flats I would suggest foiling sooner--especially if the flat is lean, closely trimmed or at all on the thin side.
I know Kevin doesn't temp his briskets for the foiling part, but I do and let me suggest you do for awhile. When I do HH flats, which I do a lot of, and yes they are lean in the fat cap dept. I foil at 160º. I tried one at 170º not too long ago, and it was foiled way too late. No juice in the foil and it was a little on the dry side. Nothing a finishing sauce didn't fix, but lesson learned. Even when foiling a lean fat cap flat at 165º I can tell the diff in moisture. Yes the sooner you foil the more the bark suffers, but the end product is so much better. Great pics of your cook Bud.
icon_cool.gif

Holy smoke, literally. Do all most of you use that much wood for a single flat? I would have used maybe 2 or 3 of the med sized pieces if I was just cooking a flat by itself. I wonder if I'm not using enough wood then? Or is this really on the high side extreme limit type of thing? Did it all burn up Brandon? It had to have a pretty smokey flavor, no?

The pics of the finished brisky look great!

Todd

Todd, There were 2 reasons I added extra wood this time.

1. Being it was a brisket, and I always use more wood, and "stronger flavored" wood on brisket. More then I would on pork or poultry etc..

2. Being that it was only exposed to the smoke for a tad over 2 hours, I wanted it to get as much smoke in that period as possible, hence the extra couple of chunks and smaller pieces.

I havent checked, but I'd bet that the smaller pieces are long gone, but there is probably still something left of the 5 largest pieces.

The brisket didn't turn out overly smokey. I'd say it was on par (as far as smokiness) with any of my low and slow briskets where I would have used 4-5 large chunks alone. Even with the amount of wood I used I still didn't get the type of smokering I wanted, so I'm left confused on that one
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

I just thought of something...whenever I reheat brisket in vac seal bags, I lose the ring.

So maybe the ring was there when you foiled and it diminishing had something to do with it being in the foil for so long.

Todd

Originally posted by Bryan S:Nothing a finishing sauce didn't fix, but lesson learned.

Please tell me about your "finishing sauce" concepts. Your ways confuse and frighten me (think, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer from SNL).

Back