Great brisket flat - Thank you, Jim Minion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm sitting here with our new power generator happily putt-putting out back - Jack could hardly wait until the power went out (yet again) to try it out. Power's been off for 6+ hours so far, courtesy of hurricane Ivan. Must be a tree down. Other conditions are not bad here, thank goodness. The heavy rains are about over but the winds are picking up a lot.

I cooked a 6.3-pound, 2-inch thick, brisket flat yesterday at 225*F for 11 hours (I ballparked it for 8 hours, so dinner was a little late....again) to 180-185*F internal. Pulled it off the WSM, did not add any liquid, wrapped it in Original Saran and 2 layers of foil and into a preheated-cooler for 3-4 hours wrapped in a thick towel. Used 25 ounces pecan chunks (close; next time I'll use 23 ounces) - we're not into really big smoke.

I didn't rub the meat until 30-60 minutes before I put it onto the smoker. I'd rubbed my previous brisket the night before and it lost a lot of juice overnight - never again.

The fat was trimmed a little too close (Costco) so I covered the rubbed meat with thick slices of salt pork. I didn't turn the meat, but basted it with apple juice at the halves (based on an 8-hour cook), then at 30-minute intervals until the meat read 180-185*F internally.

The smoke ring went all the way through the meat...glorious! And the meat was nice and moist, and very tender. There was very little excess juice in the wrapping - it stayed in the meat.

Thank goodness I saw Chris's mention of Paul Kirk's suggestion to trim off a slice of meat from the edge/corner, across the grain, before cooking, to act as a guide for slicing the cooked meat. It was pretty hard to see the grain of the meat after it was cooked.

The meat looked quite dark when I took it off the WSM, but the flavor was great; no sign of a burnt/overcooked flavor.

For a sauce, I made two, with Paul Kirk's Beefy Honey Barbecue Sauce from his new book ("Championship Barbecue Sauce," p. 151) being the clear winner. It was almost like a gravy. Note: you might want to leave out the 1 teaspoon kosher salt - the consomme is pretty salty on its own. Also, I held back the honey and cooked the sauce as directed, let the sauce cool to lukewarm, and then stirred in the honey.

So thanks, Jim Minion, for the top-notch (as always) guidance. I owe ya one! Actually, a couple!

Not braggin' -- just thrilled!
Rita

Rita
Glad to here you are well, this wind thing you folks have going on can stop real soon!

The bottom line is "It's the Cook"!

Be safe!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back