Grease Tray Slide Rails -- Screw Question!

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
Hi!

Almost done w/ my first full rehab, but have run into (another) issue.

I purchased new #10 x 1/2 inch sheet metal screws in order to secure the grease tray slide rails, but they are all loose, and fall out.

Are the interior threads stripped? Or am I using the wrong screws?

Thank you!

Just get one size larger screws and try them. But if you want to go the 'adhesive" route, you want HI TEMP JB Weld.

One caveat on using larger screws. If they are too big, you will crack the posts that the screws go into, but correctly sized screws should fit snug.

One caveat on using larger screws. If they are too big, you will crack the posts that the screws go into, but correctly sized screws should fit snug.

Yep, looks like #12 are a bit too big. I can get them in about 2/3 the way but any more and I'm afraid I'll cause damage. If only they made #11!

Sounds like best advice for noobs is to not remove these slide rails. All four posts stripped out, so not an anomaly.

One suggestion would be to ream them out a little bigger and then try your #12 screws. Otherwise, just go with the High Temp JB weld.

On a lot of those older Genesis 1000 and Silver B grills, the slide rails rot out pretty bad, so you will have no choice but to remove them.

One suggestion would be to ream them out a little bigger and then try your #12 screws. Otherwise, just go with the High Temp JB weld.

On a lot of those older Genesis 1000 and Silver B grills, the slide rails rot out pretty bad, so you will have no choice but to remove them.
Interesting! I feel like I would screw that up, but I’ll look into it.

Dan, it would be easy to do. Just find a drill bit just slightly smaller than the #12 screw and use that to ream the holes out.

Interesting! I feel like I would screw that up, but I’ll look into it.
Push comes to shove, you could always drill all the way through the cook box and put a long machine screw through it. Lots of options here.

Hi!

Almost done w/ my first full rehab, but have run into (another) issue.

I purchased new #10 x 1/2 inch sheet metal screws in order to secure the grease tray slide rails, but they are all loose, and fall out.

Are the interior threads stripped? Or am I using the wrong screws?

Thank you!
Dan,
I've replaced most drip tray rails on my restores (Weber # 97783) and several times I've had to use Quiksteel by Blue Magic to fill the stripped holes.
I've done it two ways:
Apply the Quiksteel, let it harden and then tap the holes for some #10 or #12 1/2"long stainless screws.
Apply the Quiksteel, and while it is hardening screw the #10/#12 screws it to make the treads and then gently remove it.

Both ways seem to work just fine.

Jeff

Thanks all. Really helps to get all this input.

I ended up just drilling out the hole a tad (ended up punching through, but don't think it matters?) and was able to use the 1/2" #12s I had. They're not stainless, so maybe will replace them before they rust in place

Back